Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is This Possible?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jazzin', Feb 12, 2006.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I want to change my JJ pickup of my Fender American Deluxe Precision to a MM pickup. Here's a picture of what it looks like. I know that the JJ pickups are skinnier and longer than the MM pups.
    [​IMG]

2. Jazzin'

If this is possible, how much would it cost for a luthier to do this? I'm guessing it involves routing and stuff. Will it look normal afterwards?

3. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Even if you manage to put the MM pickup there, it wont sound like stingray because:
    1) "wrong" pickup position, too close to the bridge.
    2) "wrong" preamp

4. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    T-34 is right, but just because it won't sound like a 'ray doesn't mean it's bad.

[​IMG]

This one was from scratch (ie: there was no pickup already in that position), so it doesn't answer your question. A little inspiration maybe? I like how it sounds.

5. Jazzin'

I don't want it to sound like a ray, I just want it to have a good slap tone. Is that possible. And is it physically possible, as in dimensions and how it fits and stuff?

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    if the JJs are longer, wont you be left with a "hole" between the end of the MM and the start of the bass wood?

7. Jazzin'

I'm thinking that there can be some kind of plastic rim I could put around the pup to cover and holes, I think I've seen this before.

8. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    This would be horrible.

9. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    I meaned that
    would be horrible, not the MM pickup himself.

10. Jazzin'

I've seen those rims around MM pups before, they look good.

11. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I did a little searching and couldn't find one. Got a link? Another alternative would be to make a mounting ring out of wood. I think some dark ebony would look nice, or you could get some alder and try to dye it to match.

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Basically, MM and JJ p-ups are both coil-switchable humbuckers.
    Why not try other JJ p-ups?
    Putting a MM in will leave a nasty hole around the p-up.

13. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

First off, I don't know how long you've had the bass, been playing bass, been playing slap, strings you use, or what you play through but from reviews on harmonycentral there are a fair percentage that indicate slap tone is common to that bass; with slap, funk, extremely versatile tonewise, and bright and punchy being specific descriptions as well as numerous owners having or had Rays. Each bass has its own acoustic properties and it's been my limited experience that acoustically bright basses lend themselves most readily to slap whereas thudders tend to thwart it.

I don't know much about that bass but I believe it has the same preamp as the VB jazz, not the easiest to get tone with but extremely versatile. Very small adjustments can make a major difference and often adjusting one band requires the adjustment of another to get the tone. I've had that preamp in outboard form for at least a month and I still haven't figured any predictability to it. Whether that's inexperience or it doesn't exist I'll conclude eventually. But the Alembic tone filter is the closest thing I've had with a similar impact on tone. Aggies, Barts, EMG's don't come close.

Before I touched the bass, I'd take it to guys I know that can slap well and hand it to them and say gimme some slap and see what they can do. Just like every bass is different, every player is different, and if you give it to 3 slappers and they can't do anything with it, I'd take suggestions on getting from point A to B and look at some changes.

Personally I'd take a serious look at what would optimize what I want while maintaining a reversible approach that would preserve the integrity of the existing instrument.

I'd look at alterative pup wiring and cap exploration initially cause it's cheap and readily available. Then I'd look at what pups would fit within the exisitng route. Not just double J's but somehting like a jazz or soap that you could screw down and do the surround thing - preferably not puncing any holes in the face in the process. Then you could install the stock pup with no outward appearance it had ever been otherwise - no to mention you may find no improvement or even prefer it the way it was before you routed it: AFTER-THE-FACT.

Personally I'd send that particular bass packing before I'd route cause it's value is on par with an MM, swap it for one if that's what you want. You can go out and find the tone you want already present in another bass and not be guessing or spending money that probably won't be coming back. I've had lots of MM pups and you basically have 3 tone options: ceramic/alnico 5/Bart-LP. You can go through a lot of pups trying to get from point A to B and the grass is often more browner than greener once you commit to travel.

14. Jazzin'

Cool, thanks. I think I'm going to keep it the way it is.