1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this the sound of Bartolinis?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by WarThumb, Mar 5, 2008.

1. WarThumb

WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Norway
  2. hot damn, thats some GREAT playing

sorry, cant effectively answer your question tho..

3. That's the sound of that guy with that bass. However, the smooth lower mids thing is something bartolinis do pretty well.

4. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I had Bartolinis in my 5 string Warwick for a while.
    coupled with an Aguilar OBP3 the sound was very clean and snappy.
    seems like this particular setup smoothed out any harshness from the stainless strings the bass was wearing and I'd say the sound had a very post-production vibe.
    that was alright because I was in search of the Zender-era Jamiroquai tone but since I was playing a rock outfit at the time that tone didnt quite fit in and I changed the Barts for single coil Aeros which had the bite that the Barts lacked but got me completely away from the Zender tone.

I now prefer my Fenders' tone for both rock and funk but I wish I still had the Barts on my Warwick for some Jamiroquai covers.

5. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    One of thousands. Bart does not have a corporate sound but makes hundreds of different pickups spanning the whole range of tones.

I hear that kind of tone often from Foderas. To me it's a narrower lo fi sound versus the wide range hi fi thing. Drop the lows and highs and find your favorite mid frequencies. If I was to describe this tone in terms of pickups it would be dual coil and not a brand.

6. Yup. And doest AERO make all of Fodera's pups? AERO is the premier winder imho.

7. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    Aero, Seymour Duncan, EMG, they've all been Fodera's choice at one time or another. All great choices.

8. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
  9. Just looking at it I'd say it looks like an Elrick and Elrick usually uses Bartolinis in their basses. It does sound very Fodera-like but that can be done by rolling back on the treble and favoring the neck pickup.

10. Wow, that is one of the most unique right hand playing styles I have ever seen, nice looking DB in the background, yummy!

11. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    Great playing... dont know about the sound though sorry.

12. Tone is in the fingers :bag:

13. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Some tone is in the fingers, but it's not the only factor.

Pickups, pickup placement, construction type, wood type...etc. all play a part.

14. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    Very true, a few other factors often not considered in tone, where you set the knobs on your amp :)