1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ISB Convention 2007

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Dandy Dan, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Dandy Dan

Dandy Dan

Apr 28, 2004
    EWnid, Oklahoma
    I got away yesterday to make a few hours of the ISB convention. WOW!!! All those double bass' in three rooms!!! Really nice stuff and lots of playing going on as well.
    As for performance' I have only made two so far. First was the Bill Mays & Friends.., Very hot stuff. I think Rufus was awesome as well as all of them but I think Kristin Korb, Robert Hurst And Tom Knific just smoked. That Tom is and was last night a monster. Talk bout getting inspired.
    Now for the other concert was my favorite Jeff Bradetich!!! Holy Smoke this guy was on fire. He performed Contrajeando, Andante from Cello Sonata, Op.19 and a Frank Proto I think it was Sonata 49?? I could be wrong. Jeff and his wife with Frank Proto all took bows.
    I will go back for Friday and Saturday for the rest of it. This is the first ISB I have ever been to and hopefully not the last.
    Well thats my two cents.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    How cool... I gotta get to that one time. Everyone else can have NAMM..... I'd rather be at ISB!

3. gurzil

gurzil

Jul 24, 2006
    Austin, TX
    ... and Proto will be giving a lecture Friday morning at 9am. I better wake up in time. :)

4. Dandy Dan

Dandy Dan

Apr 28, 2004
    EWnid, Oklahoma
    Yes I did miss this friday due to family illness. However I'll be there Saturday for sure. I truly love this event. I beleive I'll
    be saving a few quarters for the next one also.
    I am sure today and tonight were awesome!???

5. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Did you see Putter Smith playing with Bill Mays?

I spoke to Putter just before he left and he said that he was going because Bill had booked him to play. We have so many great players here in L.A. and these guys are at the top of the tree...hot stuff indeed :hyper: .

One of these days I'll get to the ISB convention myself - come to think of it, it's about time they held it in L.A. :D

Andy

6. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Next One: June 8-13, 2009. Penn State University, State College, PA.

7. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Highlight for me so far was Joel Quarrington's recital. Wow. Arnold - I'm sorry I didn't properly introduce myself (I got so wrapped up in bow shopping I forgot I have this other personality on TB... Hehe). Anyway I was the tall skinny guy with the bass you noticed and diagnosed as a Morelli. Thanks for solving the puzzle :) I'll be sure and say hi if I see you today.

If you see a 6'7" bean pole walking around today, make sure and introduce yourself :)

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    :eek:

10. Dandy Dan

Dandy Dan

Apr 28, 2004
    EWnid, Oklahoma
    I never heard Putter while I was there. Bill Mays main bassist is Martin Wind. He did one heck of a job playing also.
    Today was the last day and I heard the 15 to 18 second place winner play. Holy Smoke this kid was awesome!!! He played a Proto song from the Carmen cd. It was really good!! I also saw and heard last years first place winner and my gosh this guy ment bizness. Very great player!! Ofcourse we all got schooled by Dr Mark Morten. Talk about getting inspired!!! This was an awesome event. I wish I could have made all five days. It was a real bargin money wise also!!!

11. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Paul, I left Friday morning. I remember our encounter. My neck still hurts (and I'm 6' tall)!

12. Not Much on The ISB Convention this year...[ Stories,pix,etc] Was it not as good as 2 years ago ? How about awards for the makers, who won ?

13. Daniel Hachez won the gold medal for the maker's competition. I don't remember who got silver medals.

The highlights of the convention for me were Joel Quarrington, Ed Barker, Dennis Trembly, and Avishai Cohen. Jeff Bradetich and Thierry Barbe were great too but I didn't like the music they played. I left before Mark Morton and Stanley Clark's performances.

Rob Kassinger's masterclass was my favorite followed closely by Ed Barker's.

14. cb_man

cb_man

Apr 16, 2007
    Does anyone know who won this year's Solo Competition on the ISB convention? Who else was around?

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Bump for the new post merged with this thread. Anybody know where to find a summary of all the winners and such?

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021