Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ISO luthier recommendations near Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by MikeBarber, Feb 1, 2006.

1. A friend of mine in the Brooklyn area is in need of a repair referral... in his words: "i need a good acc. bass repair guy. the schools bass has a petruding sound rod that makes the bridge not lay flat and even."

Mucho thanks in advance!

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Forget about a luthier. For something like that I would only go to a qualified veterinarian. In some cases you might get away with a journeyman high pressure welder, but don't count on it.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Is Marty Confurious still doing work in Brooklyn?

Anyway, Gage is just a short R or F train ride away and I highly recommend Jeff Bollbach who is easily accessible by the LIRR out of the Atlantic Avenue station. He's in Freeport (about an $8 trip?) and that's how I got my bass out there. If you want to look at the work, I've got a thread called GETTING SOME WORK DONE in BASSES which has pictures posted.

4. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB

5. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    I've heard a number of negative stories about B.M., and I went to his shop once and he totally turned me off.

6. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Who mentioned B.M.? Say what you will, but he's probably the best person to go to with this job. This is a school bass that's probably full of #6 finishing nails and construction adhesives. Bill will recommend the cheapes and most practical way to get it back out on the road. And, I don't mean to imply that he is only good for meatball repairs. He has done fingerboards, top inlays, extensions etc. for me over the years and I recommend him highly. If I were going to start dissing people I could spend the afternoon with a certain much larger operation in NYC.
    Robobass