Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've found it....The BugleFish bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Jan 15, 2005.

1. O wow, words cannot express how immensely cool these basses are. They are like a warwick,tobias, and Fosse bass all rolled into one. Has anyone else seen them? They're only a small English maker, but I'm contemplating selling everything but my warwick, and ordering a custom 5 string fretless thru neck. What d'ya say guys?

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Have you actually played one, so that it would justify selling everything you own??

3. I'm going to ring the guy and take a trip to the nearest retailer to try one. From what it said in the review they are very much like warwick necks in their feel and profile, which is good for me, as warwick necks fit my hands nicely.

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Apparently, words can. If you've never played one, I would say words were sufficient for you.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, that would be the first step.

I can look at Warwicks and I really want to like them. But I have owned two, and they just don't do it for me. Just like a few other brands--as much as I have wanted to like em, once I play em, I realize they just don't do it for me.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :bassist:

7. Why be so excited about a bass youve never even played?? Have you heard one, or are you just going by looks??

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hey - If i bass doesnt do it for me in the look category, its out the window right away. Looks is a great place to start :)

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN

GGRROOWWLLLLLL

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    [​IMG] :)

11. Umm kinda looks like a wish bass sort of...and its pointy too...not my cup of tea

12. This sounded harsher than I actually meant it. Heres a nicer idea.

Dont snag a bass bass based ONLY on the looks. Make sure thar before you go off and sell all your stuff that the bass sounds good with you playing it, and that it will fit the style of music you play.

That being said looks do matter. You should like the way your bass looks. Unlike many I love the looks of the Bongo, which is my main bass. Yes, it would be hard to play a bass that you didnt find good looking.

13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Wow! Disgusting IMO. I'd take a Warwick over that anyday and I hate wicks. Maybe it's just me but it doesn't look like a bass that would have a sick(good) tone. I hope you try it before buying it, cause I mean selling all your stuff (if you're even able too) doesn't seem very wise...

14. And we are to be excited right out of our jocks why?

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think it has something to do with a bass. A bass someone famous plays. Or somethign.

16. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Looks like one of those old 80s Guild guitars...

[​IMG]

17. Good idea trying one of those out before you sell everything and buy one Nick. The bass looks like it would be really uncomfortable, but there are those out there that dig em and you might just be one of em!

While that might seem totally cool, it could end up being crap. Not saying it is, but sounds like a hybrid thing kinda goin on and might not work out for ya.

Let us know how they are!

Peace,
    Tyler

18. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I agree with the "play it before you buy it thing". If you haven't played it, don't buy it. Impulse buys are cool, but impulse buys based on looks aren't cool.. especially when you have no money. I bought my warwick after I played it one day at Guitar center and realized how amazing it was. Atleast I played it. If basses were meant to look pretty, they'd all have Hillary Duff painted on the headstock or something like that.

19. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    That review (from Englands' "Bass Guitar Magazine") wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either.

20. Well, if I did sell all my stuff, I can assure you all it'd be custom. I think it's one of the best looking basses I've ever seen. And apparently it's really light so it'll be nice at a long gig.