1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've found my tonal Nirvana.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StudioGC, Jul 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. StudioGC

StudioGC

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    I've been playing bass for 2 years (guitar for 30).

When I first was dragged into playing bass I first used a crappy Dean that the dude had where I've done basement jams for the past 5 years. I would usually show up for the jam session and it would be three of us (drums, guitar, guitar) which meant I usually grabbed the crappy Dean and played bass through the PA.

I soon slowly resigned myself to being the bass player and bought a $150 Peavey T20 and a used Peavey 110 amp. Now I was committed. I soon learned to embrace playing bass. I realized how much more responsibility the bass player has vs. guitar. You gotta concentrate and stay locked in.

So MANY basses and rigs later I'm here with my 1974 Mustang and Markbass rig. I actually sold the mustang a Month or so ago for a tidy profit since I got it for a killer deal. I decided the money would go toward a new American Deluxe PJ bass. Long story short, I've gone through dozens of instruments in the last year or so and I finally realized the Mustang was it. So I contacted the buyer and he sold it back to me since it was too heavy for him.

Since buying back my mustang and combining it with my Markbass I'm in heaven. The bass fits like a glove and I get perfect low end and clarity with the arrangement I have.

Thanks for reading.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Reminds me I have to get my old Musicmaster back together and online one of these days.

3. StudioGC

StudioGC

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    Oh Ya, I had one of those as well. I put a Aero pick up in it and stupidly sold it.

4. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Loos great! I've been rocking a Jeff Berlin Combo for years and it always delivers.

StudioGC likes this.
  5. StudioGC

StudioGC

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    So far I've had a Ampeg, Fender Rumble 500, GK MB212 and by far the Markbass is the best (for me). But honestly it was a bit sterile until I got the Mustang going through it. Now it's got the tone and clarity I've been searching for.

6. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Congrats on finding your Nirvana.
    Short scales are a lot of fun and your Mustang is a classic.

StudioGC likes this.
  7. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I remember your NBD thread about that Mustang. Hopefully I'll find a deal like that someday, but my CIJ Mustang is a killer bass and I'm happy with it. FB_IMG_1447372829947.jpg

Wish I never sold this early 70's Musicmaster.
    SDC10482_zps13c6b71e.jpg

StudioGC likes this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Suspended Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Congrats! I have never been there but I certainly enjoy trying various gear in an effort to get there.

9. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
  10. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Dude. Bunch of years ago I happened to play a Mustang with tapewounds on it, and it was one of the best bass sounds I'd ever heard, let alone generated. Good on ya for recognizing your ultimate tone!