1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i've got the cabinet...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fretless19, Aug 15, 2012.

1. fretless19

fretless19

Jun 4, 2012
    so the used Eden d410t arrived today, and now my GASing for an amp head is even more intolerable.

I'm looking at the ampeg PF 500
    or the carvin bx 500, both for wattage and budget purposes.

the problem is, I have no real amp savvy, :bag:
    and no good stores nearby with acceptable bass amp coverage. (Nothing to try out)

other than the actuall specs of the amps, what would
    TBr's say about the voice and overall quality of these heads?

or do you suggest some other third thing?:help:
    all your input is helpful. and yes, i have checked the forums.

:help:

2. fretless19

fretless19

Jun 4, 2012
    *cough*

3. punchclock

punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    I'm not familiar with the carvin.
    I am familiar with some of the issues the ampeg has had.
    my research led me to the aguilar th500.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    In general, the Carvin will be a cleaner, more studio type sound. The Ampeg will have a bit warmer, more classic sound that can get a little bit gritty if you turn it up.

The Ampeg PF's have had some quality issues that are supposedly taken care of with new revisions, but, stories still pop up about them shutting down on people, even ones that are maybe a year old. If you're on a tight budget, I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket. Maybe a used 3-pro or something if you like the Ampeg sound.

Used quality amps is a better way to go in your situation than budget new ones. Look through the classifieds here, and check out GC's used gear nationwide on their website. They'll send one that may be in another store in another state to your local store if it's something you want to buy.

Whatever you come across, post about it here and somebody will have owned one or played one.

Nice score on the cab. I thought the older D410's sounded better than the XLT's that followed them. Enough bottom but clearer, better tone. The XLT's were more lowmid whump but not much for clarity.

5. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    Eden cabs LOVE Eden amps - always have, always will. YMMV

6. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

Sep 20, 2011
    Just last week, I sold my Ampeg b2re, and used the money to buy my #2 Carvin, a BX500 mainly to toss into a cable bag as a gig backup amp.

My #1 amp has been a BX1500 for the past two years. I'm here to tell you, ZERO problems with that amp, ever. Powerful. And I play it hard. Last weekend was our fourth outdoor gig this summer, and every time, on a city trailer stage, the stage faces exactly into the setting sun. 95 degree days - HOT on stage! Zero problems with that Carvin, pushing 1500W into a 4ohm 2X15 fEARful cab rig.
    rigsmall.
    Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have no complaints with Carvin.

7. fretless19

fretless19

Jun 4, 2012
    oh yeah- got it for a steal too. 225$ on CL. functional also.
    also, i'm wondering if the tube pre in the BX500 effects something electrically, or if you can still play through normally.

are there things to avoid when using a hybrid amp head?

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    No special rules or electrical stuff. It operates just like any other solid state amp. Having little tubes in the preamp doesn't affect how the power section works.

9. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

Sep 20, 2011
    In fact, I bought my 500 new from Carvin without that 12AX7 installed for a $30 savings. Truth is, 9 out 10 guys will swear that tube, on or off, makes NO difference in the sound. It's just marketing Kapok.