1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

j pick up replacement on a aerodyne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lordbeans, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Lordbeans

Lordbeans

Jan 23, 2012
    Hi all.

Im not sure if this is in the right forum. So apologies there.

I've noticed the j pick up on my aerodyne just doesn't cut through. If anything the bass sounds quieter when I have the j pickup turned on full with the p pick up on full too. The j pick up is also noisy.

I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem? Not just on a aerodyne on any p/j combo.

Also what would anyone recommend as a replacement? Ive read about people using quarter pounders but is that a straight swap? Id be going with passive pick ups if I replace the j pickup.

2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Isn't aerodyne an active bass?
    Most J pickups are noisy. Single coil pickups are noisy.
    Have you let a tech test the bass yet? Maybe it's a wiring problem.
    Before you decide to swap out pickups make sure the bass is wired properly and that there are no short circuits.
    Nordstrand makes the best J pickup I have ever tried. The dude that ran our old practice space had them in a Mexi Jazz and I fell in love with them.

3. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    My Aerodyne has the same symptoms.

Aerodynes are passive basses. I've been thinking about
    buying the PJX pickup set from EMG along with the matching
    3-band pre-amp to turn it into an Active Aero. My concern is
    having enough room in the control cavity for a 9v battery.
    It may require a battery route.

I should be making this mod soon.
    see: http://www.emgpickups.com/products/category/244/2
    :bassist::cool:

4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    It's just that bridge single isn't a hum cancelling, so, being just that, a "single" pickup... it hums!

I put Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Jazz bridge single in the Samarium Cobalt Noiseless place on the Frank Bello Jazz bass I once owned. A bass closely resembling the Aerodyne, but with a heavier resoundin' alder body, instead of Aerodyne's basswood, a Leo Quann's BadAssIII stringthru body bridge and a thicker Precision neck...

First of all the Quarter Pound is hum cancelling so it could work alone (the Frank Bello Jazz bass had no overall tone, just two volume, one oper each pickup) but I tryed to counterbalance the output of the stock Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound split pickup, too powerful for the Samarium Cobalt Noiseless.
    I didn't succeed: but you could make it. Is a noiseless pickup so no more humming processes, and can counterbalance your thinner output stock split pickup.

Give it a go

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. I agree with Nukes here, Nordy makes killer J pups. Throw in an NPJ4SE set, I think you'll like it. The PJX's are good too, but whatever floats your boat.

--Silvie

6. Lordbeans

Lordbeans

Jan 23, 2012
    Thanks for the hints and tips.

The PJX looks a good choice but the idea of possible surgery to the bass puts me off. Its my most expensive bass and I had to save like crazy to get it. The idea of that kind of mod is too far just yet. Im not totally ruling it out though. Where would the battery go though?

Thanks Nukes too. Ill check out those Nordy pick ups. Ill report back once I decide and do the change.

Is it totally out of the question to just change on pick up? I like the way the P pick up sounds.

Incidentally baddass bridges always seem to be mentioned when making any sort of modification to aerodyne basses. Maybe that could be the next thing.

Excuse my ignorance here, modification is totally new to me, ive never attempted anything apart from changing strings. Ive been playing for 16 years too.

7. I like the Babicz FCH-4 so much better than the Badass, honestly. I'd give that one a look first.

--Silvie

8. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Where do you plan to put the battery?

The only place in the body deep enough to fit a battery box is right between the pick ups dead center.
    Then the box rub's your stomach and catches on your shirt.
    Aero's are not set up to be active.

Put some DiMarzio's in it.

9. Lordbeans

Lordbeans

Jan 23, 2012
    Again thats great help silvie. Ive seen folk mention that too. The babicz looks like a very decent solid bit of kit.

HDracer - I couldnt agree more. Its just not wide enough. If the battery went between the pickups it would be a nightmare to replace too. Thats why im interested in the higher output pickups.

This bass has been a challenge from the moment I bought it, or even decided I wanted one.

10. Lordbeans

Lordbeans

Jan 23, 2012
    Dimarzios eh? Very interesting.......

11. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    The quarter pounder jazz pickup is single coil not hum cancelling AFAIK.

12. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I put a set of DiMarzio's in mine when I got it. Other then some Dunlop strap locks I have done anything else to it but find the strings I like best on that bass.
    Oh and play the heck out of it. It is my keeper bass. I buy and sell basses a lot but my non export Aero will always be with me.

Try a Area J. They sound the most like a Jazz single coil I have found with out breaking the bank.

13. mdrago

mdrago

Oct 30, 2009
    St. Louis
    There are people that have done this. I ran across a thread through a google search of someone who had installed PJX's in their aerodyne jazz. I didn't see any pictures of how they did it so I still don't know. But if anyone has done this and can post a picture of how they did it, I'd be very interested in seeing it. I also have an aerodyne and would love some active pickups in it.

14. mdrago

mdrago

Oct 30, 2009
    St. Louis
  15. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I opened it on its own (I told ya: two volume only on the Frank Bello) and no hum at all.

Cheers,
    Wallace

16. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    You can try and fit a 9v in your control cavity and see. I could not fit a AAA battery in mine, but mine is a non export. I had to modify my control area just to fit full size CTS pots in it.

17. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    No need to go active on the Aerodyne! My luthier swapped out the old pickups with these: Seymour Duncan SPB-1 Vintage for P-Bass pickup and STK-J2 Hot Stack J pickup. I also installed a BadAss II bridge, Hipshot Ultralight tuning machines, and Status-Graphite HotWire half-wounds. The tone is superb! I usually play with the P pups on and the J pup off. It's been my everyday bass for six and a half years.

18. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    That's a wise point IMHO
    Bravo

Cheers,
    Wallace