1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

J pickup buzzzzing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Asa Samuel, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ok, i have a squire pj/ pickup config and whenever i have the j pickup on i get a horroble buzzing sound, when i turn it down/off i dont get it anymore, do i need to put in a new pikcup?

if so, what do you recomend?

are there any buzz-fighting j pickups out there?

Thanks.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The buzz should be quiet enough to not interfere with the music you are playing. There are hum-cancelling J pickups you can put in so it will be silent like the "P" pickup you already have. Others will chime in with their recommendations. I like the sound of the single coil just fine.

3. its actually quite noisy, my j bass was quiet enough to ignore but this is quite loud.

howmuch does a hm-canvelling j pickup cost?

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Dimarzio J. $25 on ebay.

5. one other question while i'm here, what is a humbucker or humbucking pickup? is it another word for hum-reducing or hum-less?

6. Yup.

7. wonderful, i can get a humbucking bass pickup on ebay for about 9 pounds.

8. so i just need to replace the pickup with the humbucker? theres nothing else involved in humbucking pickups?

9. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Yes, all you need to do is replace the j pickup with the humbucking one , for the price that you can buy pickups for you may as well get a replacement p as well or get a p j set to balance out the sound

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If that's the case, it may not be the pickup that is the problem. 60 cycle hum on a single coil pickup should not be intrusively loud, and if it is on one bass, and not on another, I'd recommend look at gounding, wiring, and shielding before looking at a pickup replacement.

11. i checked out the wiring and grounding to the bridge, its all intact.

might just get the jazz humbucker this time and get a P set later.