Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

j.s bach for electric bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kindablue, Feb 23, 2004.

1. kindablue

kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    Has anyone picked up a copy of this book?it's published by mel bay,i'd be interested in hearing in any opinions on it before i buy it.thanx

2. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Why not just use the original music? Work on your transcribing skills :)

3. Kindablue, if this is the book you're referring to, yes I bought it.
    http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=187

To be honest, it's over my head, though I try at times, and trying does expand one's frame of reference. Hey, for $20 (plus shipping) just listening to it is worth it. The guy that plays bass on the CD is a superb player. I think he's French.

Mike

4. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    I've got a copy of this book as well! Certainly challenging to say the least! Well worth picking up if your a fan of Classical music played on the bass!

Andy :)

5. That looks mighty interesting. I'd pick it up but I'd rather see it in person first.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This might be a little more suited to General Instruction. I am moving it there.

7. I bought this Bach book ...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0634031430.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

There are 3 duets and 5 solo pieces. Some of the solo pieces contains a savage number of hemi-demi-semi quavers (I probably have my hemis and demis mixed up ... I mean 64th notes) which makes some of the bars difficult to read. It helps if you look at the semi-quavers as whole notes and the 64ths as semi-quavers.

Bouree, Sarabande and Two-Handed Invention 4 are managable however. I bought the book because it was only US$8.00 and I used it as a sight-reading exercise. It was worth picking up for that alone.

Rob.

8. kindablue

kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    Yes that is the book,but when i tried to order thru barnes and noble the woman claimed it was out of print.can anyone confirm that this is indeed the case?

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I had a $10 gift certificate to Barnes and Noble and picked up that same book, in hopes of improving my reading skills. What I realized right away was that I had to put electrical tape over the tabs that are right below the sheet music. I would be reading fine until I came to something that gave me trouble, and my eye would drift down to the tab. Very counterproductive. Be careful how you use that one. I wish I had gotten the other book.

10. Does J.S. Bach for electric bass come with a cd? If not i might get J.S. Bach for Bass.

11. I don't know about J.S. Bach for electric bass, (it doesn't appear that it has a CD) but J.S. Bach for bass, the book I have does come with a CD. Even if you're don't play bass, or an instrument of any kind I recommend this book. It's VERY relaxing to listen to; Bach's music is great. I even brought the CD to a party as a joke, but a lot of people liked it. :)

Mike

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've got the book, not sure which one and don't feel like hunting it down at the moment (I think for electric bass). It has tab and a CD.

I think it's great for finger exercises and practicing getting the fingers working in ways they're not used to. Only problem I had with the book was IMO the songs sound pretty crappy. I was hoping it would sound more musical but I don't think those songs were made for playin on the bass. Just not pretty sounding. I believe it would take a lot of work to play them seamlessly also - something I had a rough time comitting to. I think I just wasn't motivated enough.

I think I just might break out the book today and perhaps give it another run. It's been quite a while.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Before that book came out, bassists would practice the J.S. Back Cello Suites. I don't know if the bass-specific book is better, but it's an alternative.

14. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I play DB and am currently working at a allamande from a bach cello suite. I have 15 Two Part Inventions for Bass Guitar by Ed Freiland. It's really cool but better if you have some one to play the 2nd part. But any of bach's stuff is great for any instrument regardless. So get it and remember start slow untill you build muscle memory.

Travis Burleson

15. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I have this book. While the tablature is a little vexing, it's a pretty good book. I try to play a little Bach everyday and have seen a tremedous improvement in my technique because of it.

16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I have Craig Schoedler's Bach to Bass CD.
    He really did a great job.

I have been working here and there on Suite in Gmaj, Prelude.
    I wanted a tune I sorta recognized that I could learn by ear.
    He's going a bit too fast for me to pick it up quickly so it's taking me some time. There are other slower tunes on the CD too.

He recorded this on a six-string bass though.
    He did a great job muting. I think he employed a volume pedal to help clean up as he played.

I ended up printing out the sheet music from a link on A. Grosson's site (I think).

My sight reading sucks, but having the audio as a reference helps immeasurably.