Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco Pastorius Video...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Knavery, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hello,
    I'm wondering if anyone has picked up the Jaco Pastorius instructional video or DVD? I saw it at GC yesterday and thought about purchasing it.

Could any of you suggest a good instructional video to learn different techniques whether jazz, rock or whatever? I have the John Myung video, but it's more for 6 string where-as I have two 4s. Thanks!

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The Jaco video has some really good info on it and whatnot, but it was recorded during a very bad point in his life. They did a pretty decent job of keeping him pretty lucid and cleaned up, but you don't get the whole guy...just pieces of him.

The only other instructional DVD I've seen (and the only one I own) is the Rufus Reid "Evolving Bassist" DVD and it's aimed specifically at those starting upright and jazz, but IMO, you can still apply plenty of the jazz stuff to BG.

3. Do a search on this site and you'll come across a wealth of information about this video.