1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JANII broke...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Buslady7803, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Ok, so I was going to give the ol bass a cleaning...strings come off...and so does the JANII....

ugh...it broke.
    [​IMG]

What do the JANIII cost? Any ideas? Are they easy to install or do I need a luthier to install???

2. rbbrchkn

rbbrchkn

Feb 25, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Broken retaining tabs on the JAN II are very common, but really only a problem when the strings are off the bass, otherwise string tension keeps the nut in place just fine. The main difference from JAN II to III is they got rid of the tabs, so there's nothing on there to break, but at the same time, nothing to hold the nut on when the strings are off as well. If you call up the US distributor, they might send you a new JAN III for cheap. You would have to pop off the old one with a knife blade, clean off the previous glue and superglue a new one in place. There's also the new brass(!) JAN III nuts that are around $140. :eek:

If it was my bass, I wouldn't pay any attention to it, a broken JAN II works and sounds the same as an intact JAN II or III. :oops: :smug:

There's lots of good info & good people to be had over at the Warwick forum too: http://bit.ly/cUkZag

3. I will fool with it, but I would feel better with a new one...i was expecting it after hearing the tabs break often.
    I'll stick with the cheaper nut..brass would be nice but yikes! $$$$$$

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021