1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Japanese Violin Bass Replacement Neck Options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deluxejusa, Jan 16, 2017.

1. deluxejusa

deluxejusa Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    I have this mid 70s Greco violin bass with a neck that is beyond repair. Does anyone know what a good replacement option would be? It is a bolt on style, 30" scale neck. I would like to get it working, but it may just end up as wall art. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Well, the neck pocket looks OK, far as I can tell. Is the neck itself bad - as in twisted, warped, broken, etc? Bad truss rod? Or is it that the screw holes in the neck's heel are stripped or otherwise wonky? If it's the latter, then, either:
    - open up the holes and glue in hardwood dowels - then drill new holes. Good wood glue and tight fitting dowels should be plenty strong enough. Or,
    - install threaded inserts, and use machine screws to hold the neck on. Several brands of basses use them; my Alembic's covered with them...
    If the problem is something else? Cracks can be repaired. Fret boards can be re-glued - or replaced. Truss rods can be replaced more often than not. It's really just a question of "Do you want to spend the money?" If the neck's starting to look like a pretzel? Sometimes it can be saved - if you throw enough time and money at it. And sometimes, it can't. But, whatever the problem is, "Is it worth it?" is a question that you'll have to answer...:thumbsup:

3. UpperBout

UpperBout

May 15, 2008
    Near Chicago Illinois USA
    Webmaster, Muckelroy Basses (GetAMuck.com)
    Those neck screw-holes are actually a fairly easy repair. GIBrat51's suggestions (and questions) are good.

4. jaybones

jaybones Inactive

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    If you can't get it working, instead of a wall hanger maybe a floor lamp?

5. deluxejusa

deluxejusa Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Thanks for replying. A floor lamp is a great idea! Sorry I did not specify what actually concerns me about the neck. It has a twist, some humps and there are visible cracks at the middle of the neck. Also when you shake it (because we all shake our bass necks...) there is a rattle close to the heal. That's why I am interested in finding a replacement vs paying to get this one repaired.

6. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    My buddy Keith Horne could build you a new custom neck, as an exact replica of the original, or changed to your preference. It would cost around $400, depending on the details.

Keith can be reached at: [email protected] and 213-400-6702

7. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if Fat Dog at Subway Guitars in Berkeley had the right neck (or several of them) in stock. Whether he'd sell it is less sure, but you can always ask.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021