1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jason Newsted using flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Travis_Bass, May 17, 2011.

1. Travis_Bass

Travis_Bass

Jul 8, 2010
    Everyone here who has seen the Cunning Stunts DVD has most likely wondered how Jason got the blissful tone during his Bass solo. Well, I have come to the conclusion that he used flatwound strings on his Sadowsky 4 string bass. Only recently, have I played the piece with flatwounds to find how similar it sounds to the dvd.

Also, in case no body knew, and wants to know, every song they played during that concert is 1/2 step down from the original studio recordings. (SbT being 1.5 steps down). The tabs found online are mostly all wrong, but close enough. None of them pointed out that the bass doodle was actually NOT standard tuning :p

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Post-production chorus effect or the one he had in his live rig is probably an easier explanation. :)

Also re: tunings, Metallica always plays down 1/2 step live, or at least as long as I've been listening to them.

3. Chrishi87

Chrishi87

Aug 17, 2010
    Bremen
    Sad but True is definatley NOT 1.5 Down... its always ADGCF since 1991.

Most Tabs I found were right. And Load / Reload is played 1/2 Down. So its normal

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Thats a chorus effect used on several of those songs. The same basses used on many of the other songs of the concert have the steel string treble tone that couldn't be produced with flats.

5. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Good stuff, I'm gonna slap sum en flatwounds on my fender jazz!!