1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jass Bass Body, Long Horn ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duritsch21@cinc, Jan 10, 2012.

1. I have this Jass Bass Body being shipped to me from a CL find. It kinda looks like a Fender Jass long horn, The ground strap kinda makes me think it's a 62 RI but Hard to tell with the pics.The guy selling says he knows nothing about guitar stuff.I picked it up for $100. Anyway, any help would be cool.

2. raziel_orlando

raziel_orlando

Nov 22, 2010
    Looks like the Fender 22 frets boner bass.

3. Boner bass baby.

4. That grounding strap has me thinking it's a 62 RI. The lower bout profile is flatter. I don't think they made a 62 RI with a Boner :rollno:

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The angle of the picture seems to be distorting the body.

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Boner (bass)!

7. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
  8. Non-boner- funky angle, I say.

9. ggvicviper

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    I concur. You may have stumbled upon something really cool, though. Classic 60's MIM Jazz Bass has the thumbrest, but the pickguard is shell.

Can you give us more information on what's inside the body? How can we know it's a Fender?

10. The Bass was shipped today so I'll have to give it 2 or 3 days until I get it. The ground strip has me scratching my head though as I don't think MIM basses came with a ground strip. I wish I had better pics but oh well. I'll post pics when I get it. Kinda crossing my fingers. :confused:

11. ggvicviper

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    The grounding strap is certainly a big oddity - I didn't even notice it at first. I don't know any models that currently come with it. It's something from the 60's that was not really used afterwards.

Here is some information I dug up on the part:

Jazz Bass Bridge Grounding Strap

Used for restoring older Jazz Basses and reissues.... and the thumbrest is in 1960's fashion. Modern Jazzes don't even have them (unless you want to add them or got a reissue).

What did you buy for just $100, good sir? :) :hyper: :D

12. I'll know in a few days. I didn't want to ask the seller to take it apart. I was afraid he might change his mind after doing so. I had a hunch, and for 100 Bucks, I'd take that chance. :ninja:

13. I was afraid to ask the guy to open the the thing up to check. I thought if he did he might change his mind !!! For 100 Bucks, I thought I'd take a chance. You never know :meh:

14. ggvicviper

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    In a few days, we'll know what fortunes you have reaped. I am very intrigued, and personally think you may have found something worth buying. Subscribed.

15. I've seen a bunch of CIJ and MIJ Fenders with the bridge strip. If it's just the angle making it look bonerific, I'd bet on an MIJ or CIJ version....which would be awesome.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, I have a MIA 93 American Standard and the upper horn is a different shape. My 96 MIJ fretless Jazz (also in black) does have the grounding strap from the bridge pickup to the bridge.

17. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Not a bone, but a good find for a Bejamin. I have a 93 and the horn shape is different.

18. ggvicviper

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Sounds like you have struck an MIJ Jazz body. And judging by the location (and existance) of the thumbrest, it's likely a 60's reissue. So after looking it up in my Fender guide, I have predicted that this is a body to the Fender 60's Jazz Bass, which was made in Japan from 1989 - 1994. Anyone agree?

19. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    +1

I have an MIJ from the late 80s that used to have that strip (I removed it in favour of a proper ground wire when I refinished it).

20. I guess the first thing to do is date the pots. I'm not sure if MIJ uses CTS. I have no idea how to read MIJ inspection marks. Got some homework to do. I saw some MIJ Jass basses on EvilBay and saw some with the ground strap. Thanks everyone for your input on this Bass. I'll keep you advised on my findings. :bassist: