1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jax, fl AMPEG BEAST!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nonogz, Feb 28, 2013.

1. nonogz

nonogz

May 9, 2009
    http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/msg/3579902184.html

Has anyone ever seen replacement speakers like this? I've never heard I such a thing. Is this some kind of ampeg upgrade, or did this guy throw random speakers into a cab????

Here's the ad:

"AMPEG PR810h, which is a humongous, durable 8x10 from Ampeg. a $2200 cabinet fitted with $700 in upgraded speakers.

no tolex to worry about ripping, just spray paint flat black! Also, fully-operational upgraded 'wheels' for tilt-back carry..

This one was made perhaps 10 or so years ago, and retailed for around $2200. I had the original Ampeg Eminence 150 watt upgraded speakers taken out and replaced them with 8 new more-upgraded 200 watt Eminence speakers with "whizzer cones" (see pic). Normal cabinet is 8x150 watts, THIS one is 8x200, exceeding the power of most bass amps which could drtive it. Here are some of the stock specifications: this is basically TWO cabinets.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
    TYPE 8x10 2-way Bass Enclosure
    FREQ RESPONSE (+/-3dB) 58Hz -- 18kHz
    USABLE LOW FREQ (-10dB) 33Hz
    RMS POWER HANDLING Combined: 1200 watts 8x10
    Split: 600 watts each 4x10
    PEAK POWER HANDLING Combined: 2400 watts 8x10
    Split: 1200 watts each 4x10
    IMPEDANCE Combined: 4 ohms 8x10
    Split: 8 ohms each 4x10
    SENSITIVITY Combined: 100dB SPL 1w/1m
    MAXIMUM SPL 131dB
    COMPONENTS 8 Custom Designed 150 watt 10" speakers
    2 high frequency horns
    DIMENSIONS (H x W x D) 48" x 26" x 19"
    WEIGHT 212 lbs.

This is VERY HEAVY (212 lbs), but is worth it, if you need a large cabinet for regular gigs. This cabinet is priced in this listing close to the price of the "regular", tolex-covered ampeg 8x10, but is fitted with 8x$95 Eminence bp-102 speakers a few years old.

Since there is no tolex (stock finish is flat black paint over thick wood) and heavy, heavy maple or birch, the cab is kept looking new via black spray paint.

Cab also has integrated horn to control bass tonality further,in addition to the whizzer cones. it is portable (i once drove 1000 miles round trip in a hatchback with it and there was room.), but a pickup or suv are easier to carry..

there is a handlebar-style tilt-back mobility, and "slide rails" on the back to slide it around.. ... I just dont need such a large cabinet at the moment, but don't get me wrong, this is the nicest piece of music equipment that I own... built like a tank and meant to take punishment night after night, without fail."

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Whizzer cones??? What the hell for? All they do is add high end, and you have a tweeter for that. I'd pass.

3. Wow, what a monster! I didn't even know these existed. I'd be interested in hearing those "whizzer" cones too. But goddam that'd be a struggle to live with / gig with.

I'd do a lot of research on this before putting money down. Maybe give him a call and get him to tell you the whole story. You might be able to tell if he's legit or not just by the way he talks.

4. nonogz

nonogz

May 9, 2009
    No way I'm buying that! It just caught my eye. I'm not lugging anything over 100 lbs....200lbs+?!?!? Get out of here!

So whizzer cones just add high end? I just don't see how putting speakers in a cab that wasn't designed for those particular speakers is a good thing...

5. "More-upgraded"

Lol.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Exactly. Whizzer cones have a second smaller cone outside of the big cone to add high end. What's the point?

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm with Jimmy. I bet the high end will peel the skin off your face. If I had to guess, I would think it would get loud...... and horrible. They are monster cabs. But those replacement speakers probably ruined an otherwise killer (albeit heavy as crap) cab.

8. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Highly doubtful those whizzers would deliver the same highs as a tweeter/horn; without seeing specs on the performance of those drivers it would be left to your own ears.

Personally, I need an aggressive, upper-mid w/highs type of tone for my needs, but the cab is too big. Lugging around ol' Henry is enough for me.

It would be interesting to try out though, just to see what it would do.

Raz

9. Oh, Jacksonville... some of the metal/core whatever bands around here would jump on that.

10. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Eminence B102 speakers. US Speaker has them. They are listed out to 4K but the frequency graph shows solid output out to 8-9K. They aren't that efficience at 93dB. These have been used in some 4x10's, but usually only one of the 4 is a B102 with the other three being BP102's.

Replacing all 8 with these probably wasn't a good ideal. The top two would have been sufficient. Whizzer cones WITH a horn makes little sense.

11. fenderbassman40

fenderbassman40

Apr 7, 2011
    Ouch! My back hurts and my ears are bleeding just looking at that picture that is one freaking beast

12. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    NCD - well, sorta kinda. Saw this very cab at a pawn shop here in town and made them an offer and put it on layaway. Just thought I'd resurrect this zombie thread for grins. :D

I ran my bass through my Mesa and into this cab and as other reviews of the PR810H indicate it is a darker sounding cabinet - really smooth though. Not sure how else to describe the difference - I could tell it was a quality cab though. Where my GK cab was tight and punchy this leans more heavily to the low end, despite the whizzers and dual HF drivers. Couldn't turn it up much but it sounded good to me so I made the commitment. Looking forward to picking it up (well, not really, it's heavy!) and trying it out in a band setting.

Raz