Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz band project

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by paintandsk8, Feb 17, 2005.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Hey guys, I'm looking for someone to do a project on for jazz band. My last two projects were on DB players so I was wanting to do an electric guy this time around. I've already done one on Jaco, so don't recommend that. My teacher is very coservative in his definition of jazz bass, for example, he won't let me use victor wooten. I need to be able to at least find basic biographic info on this person as well. Any ideas?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    steve swallow

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Um, no.

While one of the greats, not a jazz bassist, at least in the music that contains his playing..He is full on soul/R&B/pop/funk, playing on those Motown sessions.

I would have to choose ...damn, electric jazz bassists?
    Steve Swallow comes to mind right away. Jeff Berlin as well. Stanley Clarke, his early stuff. Some newer ones are Tom Kennedy and Richard Bona.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How about Alphonso Johnson - he is a great fretless electric Jazz bassist - he has his own web site as well - with a discussion forum where you can ask him questions. I did this and he cam back pretty quickly with an answer - this might add something to your project!! ;)

Or how about John Patitucci - you get both a great Jazz DBer and electric 6-string player/composer who has designed his own BG with Yamaha...? Loads of material there! :)

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    STEVE SWALLOW. The sheets for many of his compositions are available free on his website: ideal for a jazz band project!

There is also a book available that would be very useful called 'Steve Swallow: Getting to Second Bass"

http://www.ellorywerks.com/press.htm

Blurb from the webpage:

"Steve Swallow has been one of the most important acoustic and electric bassists in the world of jazz for over thirty-five years. Swallow's most significant accomplishment, and a central focus of this book, has been his pre-eminence as a virtuoso jazz performer on the electric bass, which he did more to establish in jazz than any other performer. He has demonstrated that the electric bass can function successfully in a traditional jazz setting and as a unique and respected solo voice. Swallow is one of the few electric bassists accepted by jazz musicians and his place in jazz history is of innovative and iconoclastic significance.

Despite Swallow's influence as a jazz bassist and an electric bass innovator, there has been a dearth of literature written about him. As a contemporary jazz icon, virtuosic instrumentalist, prolific writer, and popular accompanist, Swallow's music is a topic of study that yields a wealth of information concerning electric bass performance, jazz performance, composition, and history. The findings of this study are especially beneficial for electric bassists, acoustic bassists, and other instrumentalists in terms of performance practice, in addition to its value for improvisers and composers.

This book looks closely at Swallow's life, especially during the critical period of the late 1960s, when he took up the electric bass exclusively after playing the acoustic bass. To contextualize and support the specifics of Swallow's activities as a bassist, this book chronicles briefly the history and aesthetics of electronic instruments in the 20th century, focusing specifically on the electric guitar and the electric bass.

This study also documents the reactions of his contemporaries. This research examines comprehensively the general differences between the double bass and electric bass, to better explain the technical challenges and expanded artistic opportunities that Swallow initiated through his unique types of innovative developments. In addition, his contributions to music as a composer, performer, bandleader, and improviser will be examined.

To further illuminate Swallow's musical contributions and unique playing style, analysis of three of his works ("Ice Cream," "She Was Young," and, "Reinventing the Wheel") are included."

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  7. groove100

groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    VA.
    Christian Mcbride Plays DB and Electric Bass.

8. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Thanks for all your input, I went with Christian McBride, since I also play db and bg. I'll have to do two more though, so I think my next two will be Steve Swallow, and then maybe richard bona, we shall see. Thanks again.