Jazz Bass - Help me find one!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rivergoblin, Sep 16, 2020.

1. rivergoblin

rivergoblin

Sep 24, 2013
    Hey my friends,

Long time P Bass and Stingray player, I've decided to jump into the Jazz bass world. I've searched on this forum and online for buying advice but I figured why not ask the best, the Talk Bass world.

I'm looking for a Fender 70's style Jazz Bass with Rosewood neck with block inlays, passive. I'm open to vintage or reissue, MIA or Japan, no natural or sunburst.

What should I look for? What should I avoid? Any other brands besides Fender?

I know its a general question but I'm a novice in this side of the bass world, any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  2. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    Sandberg makes wonderful jazz basses like what you're asking for as well as other variations on it. The classic jazz is the "TT" model.

3. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    The Fender Vintera 70s Jazz Bass has a bound and blocked neck, like what you’re looking for. Three tone burst, silver, and your favorite, aged natural.

4. rivergoblin

rivergoblin

Sep 24, 2013
    ok thanks, I'll check them out. Appreciate it!

Shlabotnik likes this.
  5. rivergoblin

rivergoblin

Sep 24, 2013
    thanks, my friend. I played a Vintera last week, it didn't grab me but maybe I'll give it another shot

6. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Roscoe makes the best Jazz Bass I’ve ever encountered.

Killing Floor likes this.
  7. rivergoblin

rivergoblin

Sep 24, 2013
    thanks...I'll check them out

8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Yes, Roscoe classic Jazz is really great.
    But what I'd say is find one with a neck you like. My favorite Jazz has P bass neck, but that's me.
    If you have that comfort with the Ray and P neck you might not roll over in love with a Geddy, a great bass with a much different neck feel. Split the difference and play as many as you can.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022