Jazz Bass Neck Swap Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FirewalZ, Feb 13, 2017.

1. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I have two Jazz Basses....a 1986 MIJ and a 1977 Jazz.
    A few year back I had a complete fret and "neck" job on my 77, it cost a small fortune but the the neck is perfect, problem is that at close to 13/14 lbs its simply to heavy to play out. My MIJ on the other hand is super light weight but has a small hump on the treble side of the neck around fret 12-17 and the neck is not quite as nice. Ive thought about simply swapping the necks.....any draw backs or other considerations? I would of course keep all the original parts and have it done professionally.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Does the 77 have a four bolt neck like the MIJ?

3. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Yes. The neck pocket had a gap and with the 3-bolt was prone to shifting, so it was modded with a 4-bolt years ago.

4. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Bump

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If they're both four bolt necks and four bolt bodies then you should be able to swap without any problems.

6. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks...I was wondering if it was simple enough to try myself? Is it as simple as removing the strings, undoing the bolts, switching the necks and re-tightening the bolts?

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Pretty much.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022