1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz Bass Pickup Mods - Recommendations.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cresno, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Cresno

Cresno

Sep 6, 2017
    Hi all,

I have a 1990 MIJ Fender Squier Silver Series Jazz Bass that I'm looking to upgrade the pickups on. I play both finger and pick style, using a sans amp deluxe as part of my pedal board array. I'm looking to get more growl in the bottom end, and more brightness in the top. Not a fan of muddy mids or wobbly bass tones. What passive options can you recommend?

2. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

My first question is have you tried stainless steel strings on that bass? D'Addario ProSteels are an inexpensive option that's available just about everywhere online or retail. They might give you the bright top and growly lows you're hoping for.

Beyond that, I'll let other's offer their suggestions. Mine, based on your stated goals: Nordstrand NJ4 in the 70s winding.

3. Cresno

Cresno

Sep 6, 2017
    I currently use GHS round wound bass boomers which I'm very happy with. The Nordstrand NJ4 have piqued my interest based on other threads (and now your recommendation!). Thanks.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  4. Seymour Duncan quarter pounders.

Cresno and Zoobiedood like this.