Jazz Bass pickups... with the "original" look

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by InstantEctobass, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Fender Originals (based on the 62 pickups)

42.9%
  2. Fender Custom Shop 60

28.6%
  3. Dimarzio Area J's

14.3%
  4. Others (say in thread please)

14.3%
  1. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    So I got myself that 2017 Fender Special Run 70s Jazz Bass, which did NOT came with the original Fender Pure Vintage 74 pickups because the previous owner changed them and apparently broke them while removing them. Nevermind. Long story short: I don't like pickups with no pole pieces and the brand name on that. Yeah, they sound good, I mean, nothing to complain, I'd like them more "open toned" but I guess the 250K pots are to blame, too(?)...

And so in short, too, I'd like pickups with pole pieces. I'm not rich and I don't have super high expectations. I like to play with EQs. I just want reliable pickups.

My ideas so far : Fender Originals, Fender CS 60, or Dimarzio Area J, but sadly these Dimarzio are hard to find of my country (France). Any options I've missed? Thanks a lot for your time!

Cheers

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you’re buying a new set of pickups, why can’t you get another set of Pure Vintage ‘74s?

3. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    Because I read too much bad reviews about them and so right now they don't inspire me. Have you tried them maybe?

4. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

These

60's or 70's wind...

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If aesthetics are your priority, get new covers for the ones that are alread on there. Or sand the logo off and paint silver dots on them.

Axstar likes this.
  6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have tried them and I like them. I was thinking that a replacement set of the stock pickups would be the most “original”. If you want something different, cool. :cool:

7. When you say "open tone" do you mean treble or distortion? In general, weaker pickups will yield an airy, cleaner sound than an overwound pickup, which will give a more distorted signal with more bottom end. If you like the sound of weaker pickups there are plenty of no name varieties available for low prices on eBay. Just make sure the sizes are compatible with your instrument. Hope this helps.

8. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    They cost 235 dollars (converted) in my country... I can't put such a price for sure ! #poor

Sadly, the ones I have actually are sealed, can't replace anything on them.

So for you, a quality pickup is only a one that has more bass because it's overwound? A more open sounding can only be found at cheap eBay prices? What's the deal there? I'm sorry if I'm being mistaken

9. No. Quality pickups can be found in all varieties. What I meant was that many of the cheaper generic pickups are not overwound. Cost being the main factor, cheaper to under wind them. Underwinding usually creates the airy, less bassy tone, hence cheapo generics may be the way to go IF you like that sound. If you like a grindy overdriven tone, go after that style pickup. I wasn't sure what you meant by an "open tone". I assumed you meant airy. Just trying to give you a cost effective alternative. Hope this helps.

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you want to eliminate single coil hum, get the DiMarzio Area J. They're excellent pickups and a great value. My favorite hum-canceling J-bass pickups are Lindy Fralin's Split-Jazz, but the DiMarzios provide about 90% of the tone at half the price.

11. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    How about Tonerider Jazz bass pickups at BanzaI music ? Low international shipping cost .
    This j pup sound pretty good and friendly price.

Bass Pickups

12. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    I'm not typically looking to eliminate the single coil hum, but what I like about the DiMarzio Area J is that they get the raised pole pieces! Fender do not offer that possibility, from what I've read; and my fretboard is said to be a 7,25" radius. It might be a good choice?

13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think so. My set had raised poles under the A and D strings, and they were raised so high that I was concerned about string-to-string balance with my G&L’s 12” radius fretboard. DiMarzio assured me they would be fine, and they were. The raised poles should work at least as well with a vintage radius board, maybe better.

14. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Kent Armstrong import pickups are great if you are lighter in the wallet.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022