Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Stumpy, May 2, 2004.

1. I have been playing rock/modern rock bass for years. I would like to learn to play jazz bass lines. Yet I am not sure where to start.

I have a great deal of theory in my background and have been writing in several genres (jazz, classical, 20th century, rock, etc.) but have never had a way to start on the "mystery" of jazz bass. In my compositions I just put the changes in with the slashes and call it good (meaning that the good jazz bassists know what to do with those changes).

Could y'all :D help me with this new path of learning.?

I know how to play in all 12, I know of the modes, I have the Abersold list of scales (including the bizzare scales), and have a great desire.

Where do I begin?

Stumpy

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hey Stumpy,

best bet is to get hold of Ed Friedland's 'beginning walking bass' book, and the followups that he's done on jazz bass playing. Very well written and well laid out introduction to the whole concept and purpose of jazz bass playing. If you get it and get stuck on a particular part, feel free to come back with a specific question - the field of jazz bass playing is so huge, and the amount of possible teaching material so vast, that we couldn't really do it justice here in such broad terms...

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - I think Ed Friedland's books are a very good introduction, for somebody new to Jazz - I've leant my copy of "Jazz Bass" to several people new to Jazz and they have found it very useful as a way to get started!

4. TJC

TJC

Jun 28, 2002
    Los Angeles

Run a search here...

5. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Make sure to listen to as much jazz as you can, Stumpy. Listen carefully and try to figure out the things you like, regardless of what instrument they're played on. You also might want to get a fake book or two to start familiarizing yourself with the standard repertoire. Have fun!