jazz control plates.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sk8inbassist17, Dec 12, 2005.

1. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Looks like passive variation on the standard scheme. Don't know what standard Fender jazz controls are - v/v/t I'd guess.

He doesn't say but I'm guessing the stack would go v/v t/t which would give you more control over tone that already exists. The one with the no load would add that aspect to the system as well as adding series (assuming your's is already wired parallel) both of which would also increase tone variation.

If you know what you're wanting to change toward you can have so idea of where to spend your money - could be neither of these will get you what you're after, assuming you know.

If all you want is some change they will both do that but the stack job will seem comparatively small in change cause it's changing control not tone. All assuming the resistance of these pots are same as yours.

You could simply install a push-pull tone in your own bass in place of the existing tone pot for series/parallel operation. Don't know that anyone makes a push/pull no-load tone but if so that would accomplish both aspects with one change in you're own bass for about $20 I'd guess. Stacked pots with knobs are usually about $20 but if you stuck a stacked tone in your bass it would get you the same outcome as the stacked setup. Stewmac.com and guitarelectronics.com among others for pots. Some are easily had, some aren't.
  2. the stacked knobs are what the originally had on early jazz basses with a tone and volume for each pickup but because the concentric/stacked pots(i think thats wat they are called) were not that good back then so they changed to what we now have as the standard jazz config