Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz in SW England

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by oliebrice, Sep 14, 2004.

1. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I'm moving down south in a year, for at least 2 years, while my partner studies at Bath Spa University. Does anyone on here know much about the jazz scene in Bath/Bristol/The south west? I'm especially interested in modern jazz and improv, but other stuff too... Keith Tippett and John Law are down there aren't they?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I hear there is a reasonable scene in Cardiff - short trip across the Bridge!! ;)

So I was at Jazz Summerschool near there recently and quite a few people talked about this - so , Lee Goodall and Paul Gardiner are based there and there are regular jams and a pretty good Jazz club as well...

3. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Still investigating Bath/Bristol jazz stuff, especially looking for a teacher. Anyone heard of Bill Lynn? He seems to teach double bass at Bath Spa Uni Music Dept, which is supposed to be a pretty good music department, but can't find anything else about him on the web.
    Any other reccomended bass teachers down there?

4. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    or anyone know anything about Dave Goodier?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - I mentioned Paula Gardiner, who is based in Cardiff and is a great Double Bassist/Composer!

I really enjoyed her DB classes at Glamorgan and I got the impression she is a very good teacher.

6. jacklooman

jacklooman

Oct 26, 2002
    Wiltshire, UK
    I live in the Bath/Bristol area, and I've been on the lookout for a bass teacher. Everyone I've asked has recommended Bill Lynn, I've seen him play once and sat in at the end of that gig on trombone. He's a killer player, and reputedly a great teacher with a real passion for the instrument.

As for big name players in the area, as well as Keith Tippett and John Law, other prominent jazzers are Jason Rebello (currently on tour with Sting, but he is here usually) Mike Mower, ace saxophonist and flautist, Sax legend and former JB arranger/MD PeeWee Ellis, also Andy Sheppard tends to play in this area quite frequently. I think compared to most places theres quite a strong amateur scene as well, but I've never lived anywhere else so I don't know for sure :D.

Well worth checking out is the wiltshire music centre in Bradford-on-Avon, they quite often have good jazz gigs on, most recently the Out of the Darkness tour, featuring Law, Sheppard, Clarvis et al.

Jack Looman