Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Legends - this week Jaco - 1Hour special on BBC!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - more for the UK fans, but I know that you can get to listen to these programmes via the BBC website - www.bbc.co.uk

So, anyway - the UK Jazz pianist Julian Joseph is presnting an hour-long special on Jaco Pastorius this Friday, in the Jazz Legends series.

16.00 to 17.00

7th Nov - Jaco Pastorius

Julian Joseph presents a reflection on the short career of Jaco Pastorius, widely regarded as the genius of the electric bass. Pastorius was one of the brightest jazz stars of the 1970s, and a key member of Weather Report, but fell victim to drugs and mental health problems in the 1980s, and died at the age of 35 in 1987.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazz/jazzlegends.shtml

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    This was already in my diary! Looking forward to it, although I doubt it will give us any info we didn't already know.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - but they might play some live tracks from the BBC archive, that are unavailable elsewhere!! :)

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I really enjoyed the four-part 'Punk Jazz' documentary that was broadcast about 3-4 years ago. I had it taped on two cassettes - I couldn't help but think that hearing this took away from the excitement of the 'Portrait of Jaco' box-set a little (?)

Did Weather Report ever appear on the 'Old Grey Whistle Test' or other British TV show? It'd be interesting to know whether the BBC has any video footage in its vaults. In fact, I was thinking of picking up the new Whistle Test DVD which has Stanley Clarke and George Duke doing 'School Days'.

5. Bruce Lindfield

I saw that on TV - Stanley Clarke was jaw-dropping - fantastic bass playing!! :)

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Yeah, I thought it was great, although I don't think the full song got shown (it played as the credits rolled?) - it'd be nice to have it on DVD. Not sure that I'll fork out for it though: I've just looked at the tracklisting for the Whistle Test Vol.2 DVD and there's some real dross on there.

7. Bruce Lindfield

I just noticed that the BBC will also be broadcasting from the London Jazz Festival - which has got some good stuff on - Jazz on 3 radio - will be broadcasting live, but some gigs will be recorded for TV progranmmes later in the year!!

They start on 14th November - I'd like to see the gig which pairs Incognito with Average White Band on that night - but I'm not sure it would fall into their definition of Jazz! ;)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Wow - just as I am typing - Kyle Eastwood - the Jazz Double Bass player is being interviewed on Radio 5 and they played a track called Big Noise which was great!!

Jazz must be on the up!! ;)

9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Thank you Jamie Cullum!!! ;)

That programme sounds cool.. shame I'll be at work :(

A mate keeps telling me about music documentaries on Sky - there was one on Mingus recently, apparently. I'd like to have seen that too.

10. Bruce Lindfield

BBC4 has a fair amount of Jazz and I also have Artsworld which occasionally has some - there is also the Performance channel which has Jazz things, but I can't find reliable listings for this!

I think Radio 3 is probably the best for non-UK people though, as you can download their radio programmes - like the Jaco one or last week's Pat Metheney - from their internet site. So - no excuse for missing it! ;)

11. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    Thanks for the info Bruce : I would have missed that.

I think Radio 3 covers jazz superbly : there is just not enough of it.

Did you hear the Cassandra Wilson ( ? ) coverage on Saturday (on the show before Jazz Record Requests). Had some great double bass playing in the songs.

12. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I just wish they would show some new programmes on the Performance Channel! They seem to have about 20 jazz concerts (many of which seem to be from the 1982 Montreal jazz fest) that are constantly repeated. :mad:

I still say that the best jazz thing on TV was the Stan Tracey documentary that was on BBC4 last year - more programmes like that please!

13. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - that's what I suspect - it's rubbish really!! ;)

I suppose that's why they don't promote it?

14. darn, I am one year late... anyone recorded? :D

15. Bruce Lindfield

But next week, BBCTV has a one hour special on John Coltrane - not to be missed by any Jazz fans in the UK!!

Wednesday 16th June

23:05 Imagine...
    Saint John Coltrane: On the 40th anniversary of John Coltrane's most famous record, A Love Supreme, Alan Yentob examines the life and work of the legendary jazz saxophonist.

16. Bruce Lindfield

You can download Jazz programmes from the BBC website - go to www.bbc.co.uk and search for whoever you want - e.g. Jaco Pastorius, Pat Metheny etc.

17. Bruce Lindfield

18. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Yes, I am really looking forward to this! The first couple of episodes of this Imagine series have been very good - especially the programme on Edward Hopper - looking forward to getting down to the Tate Modern for that show.