1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

jazz pickup screws dimensions?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by deepestend, Dec 7, 2011.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Does anyone know the dimensions for jazz bass pickup screw? I bought some new pickups and they only came with 7 screws! I'd like to just see if I can go to a hardward store and get more.

I know that they are 1 1/4 long, but is there a screw number or any other info that I need?

2. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    Hard to find in hardware stores - but you can get some here:

Bass pickup screws

probably a few on ebay as well...

3. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I may have to go that route... so annoying that I'm just 1 screw short!

4. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I've gone through my whole life being one screw short...;)

5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Don't quote me, but I think they are a number 4 x 1.25 pan or round head phillips wood screw.

You will want to look for the partially threaded type.

Also, if you buy them from your typical general store hardware bin, you may wind up having to reduce the head by an RCH to get it to clear the pup cover. Just chuck the screw up in your econo lathe (hand drill) and hold a medium file against the edge of the head for a few turns until you get the size you need

You may want to also note that the CIJ/MIJ fenders and fender clones will have a metric screw as will most basses from asia, but the only real difference between them and the American version is the import will have a 1.125 OAL versus a 1.25. Not sure why this is, but it would bear checking before you run that screw to insure you don't run a screw through the back of your CIJ fender if that's what you are working on.

6. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    all good, thank you!

edited: had not thought of that econo-lathe idea. I will def use it!