1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz Standards

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by basskidd, Jul 22, 2012.

1. basskidd

basskidd

Jul 25, 2011
    Chicago
    Hey

So, I've been working through a few standards in the past weeks, but wanted to get some input as to how to choose which one's to work on first... Basically, I was wondering which standards are regarded as the 'basic' or 'most-played' (I've already got a few down, like How High the Moon, All of Me, Autumn Leaves, Out of Nowhere, Four on Six, Red Clay, etc.).
    Failing that, which one's do you think are good to work on because they offer the opportunity to work on specific techniques (chord substitutions, melodic minor, etc.)

Thanks!

2. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
  3. basskidd

basskidd

Jul 25, 2011
    Chicago
  4. anonymous111813

anonymous111813 Guest

Mar 1, 2011
  5. basskidd

basskidd

Jul 25, 2011
    Chicago
    Good call on that, thanks for the heads up!

6. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    Autumn Leaves, Rhythm Changes, Blues, Minor Blues;

is definitely bread and butter

7. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah, don't underestimate the difficulty and usefulness of the blues. I'm also working on my standards and have been drilling "All Blues" and "Tenor Madness" along with stuff like "All Of Me" and "Alone Together"...

8. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Round here we call them the "dirty dozen". Sit in on a few jazz jams. Soon you'll tire of them too.

9. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    Im still trying to learn Autumn Leaves...I remember my prof asking me ...Do you know autumn leaves...all cocky ...I said yes...he said" In every Key?"...I said yes...so i played a bit...then he asked me to sing the melody over the walking bass line...I tried...nearly killed me!!..then he asked for inversions/ substitutions...and on and on and on!!!...etc.

Then he says " I guess you really dont know the song then...do ya"...he is an intense guy...but ...he is an incredible teacher!..i have learned so much from this guy!

so note to myself..." You dont know...s*^t"..LOL

from my experience...internalize melody and harmonies....if you can do this with one song...the rest should be easy...LOL

10. bass_study

bass_study

Apr 17, 2012
    Mr. PC, jazz blues (Like Billie Bounce), Autumn Leaves, Blue Bossa

Remember to learn the bassline as well as the melody even we are bass players.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like him!

12. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I agree with Jimmy. I like him, too.

Thing is, the changes in Autumn Leaves, as well as hundreds of jazz tunes, are pretty logical. You should try to develop your ear to the point of being able to follow along in your mind so that you CAN play in any key. It's one of my all-time favorite tunes, and I've played it enough that the key is immaterial. The sound is in my head, and the changes can be led to by scale steps.

(We lovingly call it "All Them Leaves," LOL).

13. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    I hear ya. Went to the session at Smalls once, by the 7th 10-minute tenor solo I wanted to slit my wrists.

14. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    heres a quick story...My prof loves to push...and when he sees something in you ..he will even push harder... Well, before every sesson , he asks " hows the practicing?'...for many sessions i would said "good"...and he would then push again and take it to a whole other level...(you just dont play music with this guy, "its a lifes Work"..its like playing Bach)...anyways...one day i walk in...and he asks " hows the practicing"...Well, I i unloaded on him and told him that i hit a wall ...the crazy practicing and on top of rehersals and gigs...it was killing me...He was never so happy...
    i look back now and think what he was trying to attain with his students...I am truly greatful for all his help!

What i also appreciate is that he got you immersed in music, albeit, sometimes drowning in it!..not just playing it...but to read about it...comprehend other elements such as cosmology, liberal arts... the greatest compliment you could ever give him was to be called a "musician". He always thinks that term is thrown around way too much!!

15. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Ain't no better at the blues jam. I'm so tired of millions of notes on guitar per measure. Seems these days that's the style.:rollno:

As for the jazz standards, well, yes, I get bored with them, too. But, not so bad with the songs themselves, but the solos can all begin to sound alike.

16. Intenzity

Intenzity

Oct 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Here is a list I put together of the actual tunes that got called at two of the more popular jam sessions in my town in Oct-Dec of 2011.

So instead of an abstract list, this is the stuff the got played. Obviously, you should learn more than these, but it is pretty good representative sampling. Some tunes get called for a while, then don't, and then there are ones that ALWAYS get called. Stuff like Beatrice, I Hear A Rhapsody and Ishfahan are extra credit. :)

10/22 Owl & Thistle
    Confirmation
    Green Dolphin Street
    Minority
    Stardust
    Jitterbug Waltz
    Bittersweet
    What Is This Thing Called Love
    Blues Tune
    Concentrate on You

11/01 Owl & Thistle
    Night and Day
    Blue Monk
    Recordame
    Oleo
    Confirmation
    Teach Me Tonight
    Alone Together
    Have You Met Miss Jones

11/15 Owl & Thistle
    Caravan
    Invitation
    Bemsha Swing
    Gone With The Wind
    How Insensitive (6/8 feel)

11/22 Owl & Thistle
    Solar
    Bye Bye Blackbird
    Corcovado
    There Will Never Be Another You
    Lover Man
    Yes Or No

11/28 Pirattis Craft Bar
    Footprints
    St. Thomas
    Have You Met Miss Jones (7/4)
    Feeling Good
    All The Things You Are
    Girl From Ipanema
    Softly As A Morning Sunrise
    Dindi
    Bye Bye Blackbird
    Recordame

11/29 Owl & Thistle
    There is No Greater Love
    Nothing Personal (G minor Blues)
    Ishfahan
    Green Dolphin Street
    Inner Urge
    I Remember You

12/06 Owl And Thistle
    Nardis
    What Is This Thing Called Love
    Nothing Personal
    Invitation
    Seven Steps To Heaven
    Well You Needn't
    Passion Dance
    Gingerbread Man

Other Tunes (Not sure when these were called but I remember them being played)
    LadyBird
    Freedie Freeloader
    Beatrice
    Blue Bossa
    Red Clay
    I Hear A Rhapsody
    This I Dig Of You
    One Note Samba
    Song For My Father

All the bass players who are the house players at these sessions (and they are all monsters) don't ever read. Ever. I mean, they are capable of reading music, sure, but they do not have music in front of them when they are playing. The tune gets called, they play it, because they know it. No real books/charts in sight. It is extremely rare, usually only in the case of a singer bringing an arrangement in, do these guys have music in front of them.