Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Jazz Theory Book" vs "Jazz Piano Book"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rodoherty1, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Hi Guys,

I've done a Talk-bass search on this but I couldn't nail down the threads with the exact phrase "jazz theory book" so I'm afraid I'm asking you for more advice.

I would like to order Mark Levine's "Jazz Theory Book" but, before I do, I would like to know if I should consider his "Jazz Piano Book" which he wrote about 5 years earlier. Is the "Jazz Theory Book" simply a super-set of the "Jazz Piano Book" or would it be worth considering buying the two books.

By the way, I do play a little piano (I started last xmas). I am looking forward to taking my Grade 2 exam in June and I hope to go down the whole jazz-piano road in the coming years.

Any opinions or thoughts would be gratefully received ...

Rob.

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The "Jazz Theory Book" is piano oriented and would be enough for you to chew on for a while. The "Jazz Piano Book" is not a superset of the "Jazz Theory Book". I think you would be better served by the theory book if that's what you want to get a handle on.

3. Thanks Phil,

I've just placed an order for "The Jazz Theory Book" and Oscar Stagnaro's "The Latin Bass Book". From what I hear, they're essential reading.

All the best,

Rob.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    There is a fair bit of material in common between the two - but the Jazz Piano Book covers material relating specifically to piano voicings and comping, which the Jazz Theory Book doesn't. However, I think the Jazz Theory Book is more comprehensive, and has more on reharmonization and soloing and the like.

5. I have the jazz piano book, and would like to trade it for the jazz theory book if anyone wants the exact opposite from me.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The jazz theory book gave me a BIG foot-in the door to jazz theory. It really helped me understand a lot of stuff that I had little or no exposure too.

it's not the alpha and omega, but it is a damn good start, and it covers enough topics to greatly help anyone. On top of that, I haven't seen a theory book come even marginally close to the excellent writing style in The jazz theory book, and that's worth so much in my opinion.

I think, I would have learned a lot more if I had actually sat around reading it with my bass on, and playing examples in the book. because after I read the book, while all the stuff kept floating around in my head, I didn't really lock it down until I sat down with my bass and applied it.

An invaluable resource in the jazz theory book is the practice practice practice section, which Jazzbo was kind enough to summarize and post here in General instruction.

An excellent book, I highly recommend it.

7. Where's the best place to order this book from? I've been meaning to get it for a while but just keep forgetting about it. Can't find it on amazon though, and I don't know any other good book sites apart from that.

8. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    ABSOLUTELY buy the Jazz Theory book. I've owned a half dozen copies(keep giving them away like Catholics give away Bibles!). It's hard to find right now (I don't even have a copy :( :( ) and I see used copies on Amazon.com start at over $100. I think shermusic might have it for under $50, I'm not sure.

If somebody does know please post, I need to restock.