Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jeff Berlin's Lumpy Jazz...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by scott_barrett, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Howdy all….

I just wanted to send out a quick review of Jeff Berlin’s new CD, Lumpy Jazz. I received it a week ago during a lesson with my bass instructor. I’ve been listening non-stop every since and am truly amazed by not just the virtuosity of his playing, but the great musical content. I am usually not one to listen to bass CD’s too much as they tend to be, in the words of Flea, “All flash and no smash”. These songs just have really great arrangements and very easy to listen to. As for the songs, I am really impressed by ‘Lien on Me’, ‘Everyone Gets Old’, and ‘Intermezzo in A Major Opus 118 no. 2’. Jeff is definitely showing is versatility and range by going from Jazz to Bebop to Classical on these. Jeff’s playing is amazing as always, with incredible lines that move the song forward and still provide a melody that stretches bass playing to limit. I have no problem in saying that he equals if not surpasses the greatest of bass players past and present, Jaco included. His ability to solo is just untouchable!

If you are looking for some serious music, by a great bass player that still sounds like music, I definitely recommend Lumpy Jazz!

Scott Barrett
    scott@barrettzone.com
    :bassist:

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I've been wanting to listen to this album since it came out. is it true that you can only order it via Jeff's website?

3. As far as I know, yes.....Definitely worth the buy....this is truly great Jazz....

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    audiophile imports is selling it and has soundclips.

5. Hate to say it - but I didn't like it much - check out Frode Berg instead - that man can blow the hell out of both upright and six string electric, and write a good tune or two. Berlin is a brilliant bassist, and a great musician, but I really don't like his solo / band projects - I think his writing isn't that interesting either - and his sound...I could go on but I won't - these are just my opinions and they aren't neccessarily correct - so I hope no one takes offense.

M

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I respect him a lot as a player and composer too.
    However, I dislike his tone sooo much.
    I´ll buy his new album, just to give him another chance :D