1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jerry Scheff signature vs skyline laklands

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clmjlg, Mar 31, 2009.

1. clmjlg

clmjlg

Feb 8, 2008
    Well i have an offer to get a jerry scheff skyline in a trade. I have never played a lakland, i use vintage fenders and musicman, and i was looking up stuff on lakland.com for info on the difference between the signature and skyline. Is it like MIM fender vs MIA fender? or just not the same as that or mostly price?

2. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    The Skylines are really fine basses, and at least comparable in quality to MIA Fenders (better in some cases)--all IMHO, of course. I own three. (The U.S. basses I've tried have been wonderful, and I'll own one or more someday.) And the Scheff is a cool model with its own voice; I assume you checked out the soundclips on Lakland's site?
    http://lakland.com/ac_scheff.htm

Also, note that Lakland has discontinued the Scheff model--it's a relatively rare bass.

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Bump for the OP--did you see my answer?

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Not sure what you have to trade or if it's a fair value deal, but I will say that the Scheff is one of the few basses I regret getting rid of. Don't miss the 55-94s or any of those fancy Laklands, but those Scheffs are killer.

5. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I would say that the differences are much less than a MIM v MIA Fender....

there are some differences in the necks (quarter sawn in the US and not on the Skylines) and the US basses are supposed to be lighter (but my lightest out of 5 Skylines and 2 US Laklands is a Skyline!!!)

also - Skylines come in limited colors whereas US ones can be made in many colors...

the electronics and care in production are the same...

all Skylines get their electronics, final set up and their final prep in the US...

I have yet to play a Scheff....but I hear those that do love them!!!

if you think the trade is worth it....go for it and come join us at:

www.laklandowners.com

Peace:

Doug

6. clmjlg

clmjlg

Feb 8, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice, as soon as they buyer gets the extra cash to make up for the difference i hope to get this beauty and see what shes made of.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.