1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Jerzy Drozd Soul VI puzzle inlay 6 string, $2600

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Spfairchild, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Spfairchild

Spfairchild

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, Genzler Amplification, GHS Strings, Tsunami Cables, Sonic Nuance Electronics Contributing Reviewer: Bass Gear Magazine
    Price:
    Strings:
    Price reduced more than $800, down from $3500!

This particular bass has been professionally upgraded and is one of a kind, and is the most solid, durable, best Drozd on the market - I'll explain why below.

Shipping is included to the continental US but will also ship worldwide - please inquire about cost. Will consider partial trade for half the asking price at minimum in cash and a fretless 5 or 6 string, perhaps other interesting/unusual items.

First, quick specs:
    -35" scale, tightest B string you will have played
    -ash body with walnut inlays (body, neck, and headstock)
    -ash/maple neck with graphite reinforcement rods (2) and upgraded 5mm steel truss rod
    -beautiful upgraded bird's eye maple 24-fret fretboard
    -proprietary JDX pickups, split in-line humcancelling design but looking and sounding like single coils
    -Aguilar OBP-3 preamp with additional passive tone
    -string spacing adjustable between about 17.5 and 20mm
    -threaded brass inserts used everywhere there are screws
    -Hipshot USA ultralite tuners
    -super lightweight - a 6-string that weighs only 8 pounds, 13 ounces!
    -body is slightly contoured, similar to Warwick Streamer/Thumb or Spector NS body style
    -produced for the 2011 NAMM show
    -1 owner, purchased new from Dan Lenard at Luthiers Access Group
    -lightweight, rigid case included, alternate knobs included

This was my dream bass for a long time, but tastes have a pesky way of changing. It's bright but sweet, Jazz Bass-esque, makes playing difficult things easy, and feels incredible. It has one of the thinnest necks you will ever play, part of what makes it handle so well I think. It's truly a boutique instrument on par with Fodera, Smith, Alembic, Wal, high-end Warwicks and Spectors, etc. I've met Jerzy and have toured his shop in Barcelona, and he's a great guy who's very responsive, thinks a lot about what he does, and really is into the art aspect of luthiery. He produces incredible instruments that don't go up for sale that often, and in the years since I purchased this one have gotten increasingly more expensive and scarce.

The reason I say this is the best Drozd on the market today is this: Drozd bass necks, being very thing and sometimes made from lighter woods, have occasionally had issues with stability. The previous, thinner, non-steel truss rod was replaced with a thicker steel one professionally by Mike Lull, who also inlayed two graphite reinforcement rods to either side of the truss. Afterwards, he placed a beautiful, select piece of Bird's Eye maple for the fretboard that's very slightly thicker than the original was, further adding to the increased stability. After Mike was done with it, the neck was given a new sprayed satin poly finish (same as the body) by one of Mike's colleagues who formerly sprayed finishes at Modulus Guitars. The bass is stronger, better sounding, and more attractive than it was originally - it's been turned into a super-Drozd!

There is some slight wear that hopefully comes across very clearly in the pictures. I want the next owner to know exactly what to expect! The pickup covers are wooden and you can see some wear on those tops from the strings. The nice part about wooden pickup covers is that they can be lightly sanded and will look good as new, perhaps with a bit of oil as a finish. There are some small impressions around the body which I've also shown in the photos, as well as at the truss rod access channel at the headstock, but nothing major to speak of. The satin polyurethane finish is not compromised anywhere.

You can see and hear the bass in action here:

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to tell you anything you'd like to know!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ntPzMBJ.

lxeggMz.

zN3TEss.

I'm including many pictures here so you can get a very good feel for the shape the bass is in (excellent), how it looks from different angles, etc. The very light but super sturdy JD case is of course included. The bass will ship with the stock wooden knobs with plain ebony tops installed; some of the pictures show different knobs I've tried, or stickers applied to them to show knob positions. The Jazz Bass style knobs and black dome knobs shown will also be included.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CQddk6D.

9lqCtxN.

mzeK6yu.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  2. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Wow amazing bass good luck

Spfairchild likes this.
  3. d00dr

d00dr Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NY
    Such a great looking and sounding bass! Really makes me wish I could do a 6'er!

Thor2 and Spfairchild like this.
  4. Spfairchild

Spfairchild

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, Genzler Amplification, GHS Strings, Tsunami Cables, Sonic Nuance Electronics Contributing Reviewer: Bass Gear Magazine
    Bumping for the start of a new week. WWJD - why wait for Jerzy Drozd?

5. Spfairchild

Spfairchild

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Thor2 likes this.
  6. pbfrog

pbfrog SASS #209

Apr 8, 2004
    Bristol, CT
    Beautiful instrument! Id buy it for sure if I was looking for another 6. Lighter than my Thumb NT for sure! GLWTS

Spfairchild likes this.
  7. Spfairchild

Spfairchild

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    I would also entertain trades for a nice 5 or 6 string fretless along with at least half the selling price in cash.

8. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Great singing and bass looks killer!

Spfairchild likes this.
  9. Spfairchild

Spfairchild

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Thank you!

10. Spfairchild

Spfairchild

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Pay day bump. Tax returns are coming in, I'm sure ;)

11. Spfairchild

Spfairchild

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Feel free to make me a reasonable offer. I'm also willing to accept a partial trade + cash scenario, specifically for a 5 or 6 string fretless.

12. Spfairchild

Spfairchild

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Ridiculous price drop. $2700 including shipping. Who's going for it?

13. Spfairchild

Spfairchild

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Lots of nibbles so far, waiting for a definitive bite!
    Friday. Could be your pay day? Could be tax refund time for you? Carpe diem!

14. igntou

igntou

Jan 8, 2014
    Costa Rica
    Nice bass :)

Spfairchild likes this.
  15. huggyhugz

huggyhugz

Apr 28, 2014
  16. Spfairchild

Spfairchild

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Not just yet! Returned your PM.

17. Spfairchild

Spfairchild

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Still available - for now

18. Spfairchild

Spfairchild

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Pending sale

19. Spfairchild

Spfairchild

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Seems that the buyer is a no-show. Still available!

20. Spfairchild

Spfairchild

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Pending sale tonight once again.