1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Joel Smith

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have seen him on Youtube enough to know he is a great musician, but those who know, please tell me the best CDs to get a good sample of Joel Smith's playing in an ensemble.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hey Cheese, sign up over here and ask all the gospel related questions your heart desires! :)

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'd like to know what TBers have to say about Joel Smith as well! He's an amazing bassist, and from what I've heard, DRUMMER too!

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks! I should have joined years ago!:oops:

5. Come on over with us Dr. Trust you'll get what ya need, in more ways than one ;).

Hes pretty much the pioneer of gospel bass. Classy guy and the skills are rediculous. It was pretty much him and Andrew Gouche back in the day paving the way for all the great gospel bassists.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Didn't someone post a Chucki Booker track with Joel playing on it? Dude is seriously in touch with the funk!

*Edit: Never mind, that was Derek DOA Allen playing on that track. My bad!

7. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Hey guys, it looks like some of you know Joel Smith, perhaps personaly too..
    About month and half ago I have ordered the instructional DVD from his site, paid it via Paypal and got no response to date..
    I send also several e-mails to him with no response either and his website is down :confused:
    Anoyne have some clue?

8. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    bump for any current info about Joel...

9. MSIMSBASS

MSIMSBASS

Nov 25, 2007
    Dr Cheese,

There are so many albums to name. But my personal fav is the first album I heard
    Joel on is James Moore and Mississippi Mass. I forget the name of it but it has "When
    the praises go up" and "Joy". Along with Karen Clarke Sheard. He was SOOO pocket
    but very effective on that one. I would start with those two as it is enough to change
    the way you think about playing.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks!:)