1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Bonham

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Jul 18, 2007.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I hear a lot of people rave about how John Bonham is one of the best drummers of all time. I've listened to a fair bit of Zeppelin, and I like them, but I just don't get what all the fuss is about. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good drummer, but I hear a lot of people say they think he's the greatest. Are these people over exaggerating, or am I missing something?

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    May he R.I.P. But in truth, I'm not a fan. My taste in drumming runs toward the opposite direction - Bill Bruford, Terry Bozzio, Carl Palmer, etc.

Neil Peart can shake a pretty mean stick too... ;)

MM

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    One of the "heaviest" drummers of that era. To me, he set the standard for hard rock drumming. He gets a pretty cool kick sound using a 26'' drum with no muffling! I like Zepplin, but I am not really into Jimmy Page.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Determining who's THE greatest in any aspect of life is something that can't be accomplished IMO, but John Bonham surely was ONE of the greatest rock drummers. What impresses me the most from him isn't his speed or his "animality" (thinking of how he played the drums with his bare hands), but his attack/tone. He was one of those musicians that have an unmistakable character, and that's one of the most valuable assets a player can have.

Neil Peart is another of the greatest rock drummers and I like his style more than Bonham's, but to me, Peart is recognizable because of his playing (I mean, what he plays), not his tone. Bonham had that unique quality, which was essential for the Led Zeppelin sound.

5. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I think that's it. Not many drummers have a 'voice', and Bonham's was totally his own as far as I can see. I mean, who was he copying, tell me? And like Hendrix, another unique voice, nobody's been able to do it since. What he played was really attractive on a primal level, it's sex w/ sticks! Forget the chops, who cares.

6. John Bonham RIP is still one of my favorites. He had such great time and played real solid. He had a great bass drum technique and played for the song. He loved the triplet. Bonham and JPJ were Led Zeppelin.

7. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    To me, John Bonham made Led Zeppelin. Picture a song like "When the Levee Breaks" without him playing...might as well be CCR!

He had a feel like no other drummer I've ever heard.

He's at the top of my list of rock drummers.

8. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    He had both skill and a feel for the music which a lot of drummers don't seem to show very much.

9. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Simple, tasty and assertive. When that guy hit a drumhead, there was no doubt he wanted to hit that thing right there, right then.

At first I didn't dig him at all. Thought he was just a clubfoot. But the more I listened the more I grew to appreciate his style. Aggressive, but never overbearing.

And yeah. LOVED Bonzo and JPJ. The other two were OK.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/John_Bonham.html

10. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    John Bonham's drumming is a lot like Paul McCartney's Beatles bass playing: To those who aren't students of the kit, it sounds good but isn't Wooten-level flash so it doesn't stand out. For those who are really listening and analyzing, the subtleties involved are fantastic and totally add a character to the song which wouldn't be there otherwise.

There are a slew of really seriously good pro level drummers who cite Bonham as a main influence. You guys may not appreciate his work with Led Zep, and who can blame you? You're bass players. You've never tried to sit down and play every nuance of Bonham's playing in a band situation. But realize that it's like your drummers saying that Jaco is a tedious overplayer or any similar ill-informed sentiment.

11. :bag:

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    The thing with Bonham was that he didn't play the drums. He PLAYED the drums. He was a monster talent and he was very innovative. I play the bass, but I really don't think I PLAY the bass.

If you know what I mean.....

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's been said, but his game wasn't flash. He just played monster super heavy grooves. His appeal isn't in the "wow did you hear his awesome 23 minute drum solo" it was in his feel. Nobody played drums like Bonham, many have tried afterwards.

14. my 3 fave drummers in no particular order:
    matt sorum. he was one of the few drummer that nearly used the drums like an instrument rather than percussion.

nicko mcbrain. really like his hugggge drumkit, but unlike other drummers who have big kits he uses them all and uses them well!

ringo star. he hits the bloody things!

as for bonham, not my fave, he's OK but not the best IMO

15. I like Bonham(for many, many years). To me his greatest asset was that he understood the concept of the spaces between the notes. I think that was what made his technique so "emotional" sounding and expressive.
    Josh