1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'John East Preamp' 'What Am I Losing"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mustBmtd, Nov 7, 2018.

1. mustBmtd

mustBmtd Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    First time trying the John East J Retro Deluxe, and got this at a super cool price. To drop in my jazz bass, One small problem! And wanted to know what would I be losing with this problem by still installing because it still works in spite of the problem. Here is a picture of the problem, and if you don't notice! It's missing the top shaft of the top knob. 20181007_203056.

2. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Without looking at a diagram, the missing part is the shaft of part of the control. It's a stacked pot, 2 pots in one. You won't be able to control that part of the pot.

Shouldn't be too hard to be repaired. Just replace the pot. Get the exact specs of that pot, though.

3. mustBmtd

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    Thanks Geri O. Only issue would be is the stacked pot itself is sealed in epoxy. Which is considered the protective covering of the mother board. And the one pot you see on the preamp is the mid, and sweep, plus pull bright on top knob.

4. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Oh, that’s a problem.

Well, if you are like me and run all the tone controls flat, you may be able to finagle what’s left into the flat detent and use it as it is. If you don’t mind the missing knob.

5. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Email John for a new pot

CameronJohnson likes this.
  6. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    That top knob is the mid +/- volume control with a center detent. Bottom half selects the mid freq. Pull bright is on the treble control which is next stack north in playing position.

7. mustBmtd

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    I've already sent email with pictures with plenty of details. And for the length of time this posting has been up. No response from Mr. John East at all, not even through emails. And I've been told it can be repaired.

8. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    John is usually very good about getting back to folks. I've emailed him several times.

9. mustBmtd

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    I've done the same, and no response yet.

10. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    He must be out of town or something. I've been trying to reach him as well.

11. mustBmtd

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    If you get a response before I do, hit me up and let me know. And I'll do the same.