Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Enswistle and Limp Bizkit

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Loren, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loren

Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    at my job people frequently play radios. so one day i hear a cover version of the who's behind blue eyes.
    i didnt get a good listen to it though. i was busy working, people were being noisy, and the radios reception was bad.
    later i learned that this cover is performed by limp bizkit, so i found an mp3 and had a good listen. i was curious how the bassist in limp bizkit played what is one of the most memorable rock basslines ever.
    this cover version doesnt even have a bassline. it has a synthesizer playing some root notes and thats about it. no entwistle inspired bass work at all.
    i dont know how i feel about this... part of me hates the fact that the bassline was just cut, but another part of me is glad that some guy from limp bizkit didnt trash the memory of a great bass line. does limp bizkit even have a bassist?

has anyone else heard this cover of behind blue eyes?

2. DaVEPe

DaVEPe

Aug 6, 2002
    yeah, LB has a bassplayer, in fact, he's good :meh:

I think he's name is Sam Rivers, google him if you want to :)

I've heard behind blue eyes several times, it even has a videoclip, with Hale Berry :D
    But I don't like the song actually, it's just to boring for me, but that's my own opinion... :meh: ;)

dave.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's all over the radio in Germany. One more reason not to listen to (terrestrial) radio.

4. I would have liked to see them take on the heavier part in the original.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know...Entwistle was one of my favorites, but that song is not what he's most known for. Also, I'm no fan of Limp Bizkit.

IMO, if a band is going to record their own interpretation of a song, they have the right to record it how they interpret it. A band that puts a lot of weight on its bass playing, like Limp Bizkit, though, shouldn't ignore a bass line if the original band didn't.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The Who got noticed by writing original songs. Why can't these guys?

7. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Well I'm not standig up for LB but they have 4 albums of original stuff

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"Xerox-rock".............take the original, copy it note-on, and make some bucks off the generation that think it's your work. :spit:

9. You don't like "Nookie?" Dude!!! :rolleyes:

10. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    How in the world are they based around the bass? I can only even think of one song of theirs where you actually hear the bass, and the bass lines in it were actually played by the guitarist. He is a classic example of a token bassist. Just there because you are "supposed" to have one, not because he ever really contributes. :eek:

11. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    limp bizkit sucks. wes borland was smart to quit.

12. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    I agree. I can't stand their music and certainly can't stand fred durst. On the upside I think the drummer isn't too bad. I saw a clinic he did where he played some cool elvin jones, art blakey sounding jazz stuff, and he did some nice double bass work. He's no virgil donati or mike portnoy, but he's way better on his instrument than the other guys are on theirs.

13. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork

Not even. Take the original, do a really bad rendition of it, and make lots of money.

ANyone notice that of the what, 4 big songs bizket has had, two are covers, and the majority of the other songs on their albums are utter dookie?

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, largely. But, there were plenty of covers they did, too.

Songs like Twist and Shout (Beatles), Young Man Blues (Mose Allison), Summertime Blues (Eddie Cochran) come to mind.

Rock bands have been performing covers for decades. They usually don't come out any better. I never liked it when I heard Warrant play The Real Me or when The Scorpions did Can't Explain.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, that isn't one of Entwistle's best basslines. I was in a Best Buy when I first heard this. It was playing on the radio, I never listen to the radio, so for all I know, it could have been around for a while. I storm over to my friend on the other side of the store and start shouting, "ARE YOU HEARING THIS ****ING ****!" I went on a bit of a tirade, it was a while until I calmed down. I was pretty mad.

Hatred for Limp Bizkit + 24 points.

16. Loren

Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    yeah, i realise that it isnt quadrophenia. what i mean by memorable is that most people know the bassline. people recognise it when it's heard.

17. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    God Almighty!!!!!!!!!!! The HATER's are out in force tonight!!!
    I'm don't particularly dig LB either but I have heard Sam Rivers play some nice stuff. That genre isn't my scene but he does seem to play what fits...........
    my $ .02
    Fo'

18. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    if you havent seen "a quick one" by the who on the excellent "kids are allright" dvd..then you should!....probably one of the most remarkable rock performances ever caught on camera.

and also it has a great section where you can isolate all the intruments in other live performances including of course enwistles bass...really really interesting...probably one of the best dvd release yet for this kind of thing.

19. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Money,it's all LB ever cared for,the money. Period. -Luke

20. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Because The Who had talent?

and Limp Bizkit, well...