Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Kerry - BASSIST?!?!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Just found out recently that U.S. Democratic Presidential Candidate, Sen. John Kerry is one of us (!) Turns out he played bass for a band called The Electras in his prep school days in the early 60s.

Read on:

Rocking the Vote, John Kerry Style

September 14, 2003
    New York Times

WHEN the recording artist known as Moby headlined a $75-a-ticket fund-raiser in Boston for Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts the other night, some were stunned to see Mr. Kerry take the stage, grab a guitar and bark to the crowd, "Let's rock and roll."

Mr. Kerry joined a local band, Popgun 7, in Bruce Springsteen's "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," after which he pumped his fist in the air, Springsteen style. "Don't say it — don't give up my day job," he begged the audience. "If I weren't running for president so hard, I'd rock all night and have fun."

It turns out, despite his usual blueblood reserve, Mr. Kerry is a rocker from way back.

As a prep school student in New Hampshire, he played a mean bass guitar. How does anyone know? At the concert, Erik Lindgren of Middleboro, Mass., brought along a 1961 album by the Electras, Mr. Kerry's band, with liner notes that said he was "producer of a pulsating rhythm that lends tremendous force to all the numbers."

After showing Mr. Kerry the album, Mr. Lindgren said: "He flipped. He hadn't seen one in years."

Mr. Lindgren left the concert a believer in Mr. Kerry — as a musician, if not as a president. "This is proof that the guy rocks out," he said.

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah man, pretty cool eh!

:bassist:

Not really news though... Maybe for some.

A while back when he was running for Senator, he had this BIG party in Boston that CSN played (a few other groups too) at and he got up and jammed (on guitar though).... I remember marveling over that when a friend of mine (an older gigmeister) said that he was a bassist for a HARD ROCK band and played in qand around the Northeast, especially many of the clubs in Boston (RIP: The Channel) and the North-Shore.

I think (again I could be wrong), he attended Phillips Academy, Exeter Prep School back then.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yes, this has already come up a few times, and always ends poorly. And, since it gives people a chance to get political, I can only assume this thread will be closed down once a mod sees it.

4. Yes,sorry...it's a cool fact,but to political.

5. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    I think it's cool. I'll keep an eye on it in case it turns political, but as far as I'm concerned we can talk about political leaders till we're blue in the face, as long as it is about them playing bass or whatnot. I didn't see how the other John Kerry threads ended, so maybe I'm making a mistake, but it wouldn't be the first.

Carry on! :D

:ninja: I'm watching you...

6. That sounds cool.

As long as we don't get into his politics k?

I think I've seen a picture where he is with his band w/ a nice ol' P bass...anyone seen it before?

7. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

gotcha, Loud and clear.

Capisco.

*Anybody have pix of him playing bass?
    :bassist:

8. Here's a pic of Kerry and The Electras:

[​IMG]

He's to the left of the drummer, slinging a P-Bass.

Info from www.bigrick.fm/blog/blog1.htm

The back cover says "John Kerry, electric bass, is a resident of Oslo, Norway, and the producer of a pulsating rythm that lends tremendous force to all the numbers." Norway? yep, his father, Richard Kerry, worked at the U.S. Embassy in Oslo, Norway, as a chief political officer when Kerry was a boy. He attended a Swiss boarding school before transferring to St. Paul's School in Concord in 1956.

here are the song titles:

Side One
    1. Guitar Boogie Shuffle
    2. Three Blind Mice
    3. You Can't Sit Down
    4. Greenfields
    5. Shanghaied
    6. Summertime Blues

Side Two
    1. Bulldog
    2. Ya Ya
    3. Sleepwalk
    4. Electra
    5. Because They're Young
    6. Torquay
    7. Yellow Jacket

9. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Bravo Chap... St. Paul's, Good? Glad it wasn't EXETER/Phillips Academy, i've heard bad things about them cats (oops!, sorry ModSquad)!

...this coming from a cat that went to Tabor Academy and Eaglebrook.

10. sure he rocks out and has modern-cultural knowledge.
    [Mod Intervention] SNIP [/Mod Intervention]
    but yea....just doesn't tickle my fancy.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    [Mod Intervention] SNIP [/Mod Intervention]
    Thanks for the info, Stingraymund.

Eep, sorry.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

I agree with my partner in crime here. If this gets political it will be shut down and deleted very quickly.

:ninja: I'm watching you too. MUHAHAHA

13. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    hehe this is great. i actually goto st.pauls (the school he went to) and he did in fact play bass, both electric and double bass.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sound clips anyone? C'mon you little theives, fire up your P2P software and host us a clip!! :ninja: :hyper:

15. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Newsweek did a short article on Kerry's bass playing which consisted of quotes from his former bandmates which were interesting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4271819

A few non-political quotes from the guitarists that said he was a good bassist.
    The pianist and maracas player made no bones about being Bush supporters.
    The sax player was clueless - couldn't remember that Kerry played in the band.
    The drummer was the only one supportive of Kerry's campaign.

16. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Hey, there's hope for me yet! :D :hyper:

17. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002