Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Mayer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Jan 25, 2005.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    This could be bassists, or recordings, or off topic, so feel free to move at will! I caught John Mayer on The Tsunami aid show a few weeks ago. I heard his stuff on the radio and thought it was pleasant and didn't annoy me. But he totally smoked on that show. He covered Axis Bold As Love. It was absolutely killer. So I went out and bought a couple of his cds, and man, the bass playing on his first hit, the one about running through his high school, you can't hear it on the radio, but the bass player is ALL over the neck. Jumping octaves, it reminded me of bass playing from the 60s. The Ox, the dude from the Kinks, Sir Paul. Really meaty bass work. If you never paid attention before, like me, and you're at a good stereo, when it comes on, stop what you're doing and listen.

2. I agree. I listened to John Mayer for a while before he was on the radio and the bass playing is great.

His bassist is Dave LaBruyere, and hes got to be one of the most underrated bassists in pop music.

He had an article in Bass Player months back, and mentioned the influence of The Meters bassist George Porter. Its evident in his playing that hes a well studied bassist, and is very creative with his parts.

Check the bass line on the Mayer tune 3x5. Its got a really cool walking type feel that does move all over the neck.

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    He used to play in Birmingham all the time. I remember one of the local disc jockies telling everyone "see him now, he's is going to be a star."

4. seen 'em live 3 times now.

everytime its John and DeLa, and they always change up the guitarist/drummer. I think they're an awesome pair.

The DVD is a great buy too, John Maye - Any Given Thursday.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I used to catch his acoustic sets here from time to time, before he blew up. My friend David plays, tours, and writes with him now.

6. yeah, mayer is fun to see. i like some of the songs that aren't on the radio better...my favorite is neon...especially live and on their dvd, with that cool beginning...

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    On the Tsunami show that was Pino Palladino on bass.
    And Steve Jordan on drums.

8. Bennito

Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Yeah, I was surprised that Mayer didn't use his own rhythm section on the Tsunami show . . . for about a split second.

Mayer's bassist AND drummer are both killer, but I guess if you have the opportunity to play Hendrix with Pino Palladino and Steve Jordan, you can't really turn it down.

I saw John Mayer last summer. His whole band is killer. He even had David Ryan Harris on guitar who is a fantastic singer/songwriter on his own.

Great band, great show, and Mayer plays the crap out of the guitar.

9. I didn't catch him on the tsunami aid show, but I've heard him a few times on satellite radio, and his stuff doesn't annoy me either, if I may borrow your term, chris4001asat. :)

I like his song, "Daughters." The way he sings that song reminds me of Michael Franks. www.michaelfranks.com/index.shtml

I'll have to pick up a couple of his CDs.

Mike

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow! You're right! He does remind me of Michael Franks! Good call!

11. When I first heard the song, I thought it was Franks !!! :eek:

Mike

12. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    definitely recommend the cds, great concerts too.