Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Patitucci please.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Nov 4, 2005.

1. First off, I think I spelled his name wrong.
    Anyway, I know this guy can play like a mofo, he's awesome. Problem is, I've only seen very few video clips and short audio chunks of him. I saw a video of him playing Bach's "Suite #1 in G Major" (one of my favorite songs to play too), and maybe 3 other songs.
    I'm looking for some recordings with him playing. I don't know anything about his discographey except that he played with Chick Corea on his latest DVDs (someone on this forum told me about that, I still haven't gotten a chance to pick it up though).
    Anything will do. I know he plays both upright and electric. I love both, but prefer electric. Any suggestions?

2. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Chick Corea Electric Band is great stuff, pretty groovy.
    I also enjoyed his "Heart of the Bass" and "Mistura Fina".

Edit He plays electric on mentioned records.

3. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wayne Shorter's Footprints Live is very much worth listening to for Pattitucci's upright playing.

4. Heart of the Bass has some of the most beautiful, clear, bell-like tone I have ever heard. Beautiful playing as well. That disc is a must-have. He does a song on upright called "Mulagh" on that disc that is very impressive.

5. Awesome, thanks for the quick responses (I'm expecting more though:)). Did Chick Corea's Electric Band record CD's too, or was it just the DVD/concerts?
    By the way, could you make sure that you include the name of the artist listed with each CD. Like, is "Heart of the Bass" is Patitucci's name? Or a band name? Just wanna be sure of that kind of thing. Thanks again guys.

6. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Chick Corea Electric Band was a real band. So there is CD or two out.

You might want to take a look in http://www.johnpatitucci.com

And yeah, "Heart of the Bass" and "Mistura Fina" and so on are in his own name

7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    If you're looking for a great album that combines both his electric and DB playing, look into "The Gershwin Collection" by Dave Grusin. Patitucci's playing in a support role is incredible, and the arangements are great ........ :cool:

8. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    John is one frighteningly talented musician yet one of the most humble, positive and approachable people you'll ever meet.

Favorite stuff:

w/ Elektric Band: s/t, Eye of The Beholder, Inside Out

Solo: Sketchbook, Communion, One More Angel, On The Corner, Imprint

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You spelled Patitucci right.
    He also plays on Danilo Perez's Till Then and Central Avenue (if I'm not mistaken)

10. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
  11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    "Heart of the Bass" has Bach's cello suite #1 in G major, if that's what you're looking for. Something I've been trying to get down on my six string for a while...

John's Yamaha signature bass is the nicest bass I've ever played. I wish I could afford one.

12. groove100

groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    VA.
    red wonder thanks for the link

13. Hey Mikey,

Heart of the Bass is under John's name. You definitely need to pick that one up!

All the playing that John did with Chick is good, IMO. Elektric and Akoustic. The Akoustic Band album is a must have. John and Dave Weckl really lock in. Would you expect anything less?!

Pick up as much stuff with John as you can. He really is a legend of the bass.

14. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Elektric Band's "Beneath The Mask" is a good one that hasn't been mentioned.

15. No problem...also check out that Marcus Miller "Run For Cover"...

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The other day I dug out and listened to "Silent Will', an album by drummer Andrea Marcelli. It has a great list of players on it , including Allen Holdsworth, Mike Stern, and the late great Bob Berg.....along with John on all the tracks. He plays 4/5/6 & string and acoustic bass with fretless on one track....I really dug his fretless tone! :bassist: There are just so many great albums with him on it.....one of the best we have!!!

17. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Great player, love his note choices and grooves....

Amazingly, I can't stand his tone, and I have a TRB and love Aguilar stuff!!

The new CC Elektric record "To the Stars" is pretty cool, although the filler tracks get a bit old and take up valuable space imo!

18. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    He plays on Steve Khan's "Got My Mental" with Jack Dejohnette, Don Alias, Bobby Allende, Marc Quinones, Cafe and Patitucci on upright. I think Steve is a fabulous guitarist, but my favorites are his Eyewitness albums with Anthony Jackson and one of Dennis Chambers/Dave Weckyl/Steve Jordan on drums and others. [more specifically the albums are Eyewitness, Casa Loco, Modern Times, Public Access and Crossings]. Steve recorded some sessions earlier this year with Patitucci, DeJohnette and others which should be coming soon...

Jim

19. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Oh MAN I LOVE THOSE STEVE KHAN/EYEWITNESS ALBUMS!! :bassist: :hyper: Pure genius, very loose organic improvising and cool compositions!