John Wetton's sound and gear...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DryDrunk, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Hey TB'ers! I'm on a big KC kick right now...and got to thinking about the great John Wetton. I was wondering how he got his signature sound and EQ settings that would be helpful in achieving this. Does he use any pedals to get that big overdriven sound? I think I read that he used a wah...not sure. Thanks in advance!
  2. I remember from an OLD Guitar for the Practicing Musician interview (Steve Howe was on the cover, Asia was big then) that Wetton used a Fender Precision (stock) with rosewood fretboard, Marshall 100w head and 4x12 cab. I have no idea of the eq. I vaguely remember his mentioning a wah, and a Fuzzface or maybe Burns Buzzaround distortion pedal. That's the best I got.

Wetton rules (my favorite KC bassist).
  3. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I saw Wetton on KC's Larks Tongues In Aspic tour a long ass time ago...the above stuff is correct as I recall, but I think he was using a Hiwatt 4x12. I was doing windowpane at the time... :p
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I remember reading somewhere that he used Hiwatt amps and cabs during his time in KC. That, together with a very aggressive playing style similar to his could help you towards that sound.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Wetton used some sort of Italian fuzz-wah effect pedal in KC. In interviews he always said he had no idea what brand or model it was.