Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jonas Hellborg's new custom Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Nov 3, 2005.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Jonas appeared at the EBS Bass n' Drum event in Stockholm a month ago with this bass.

I originally posted a thread ( http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209439&highlight=hellborg ) asking if anyone knew the builder/model (thinking it was a semi-acoustic bass).

Thanks to the folks at EBS, who just sent me some better-quality pictures and some info.

The bass is a solidbody custom Warwick. A complete one-off, built to Jonas' own design. Looks like it just has a single jazz pickup right against the bridge.

The bass body is about 3.5" deep. I recently chatted with Dave Marks, another fine bassist who played at that event. He tried the bass and said "it's a heavy m**********r."

Attached Files:

2. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    I gotta have one!

Just kidding :p

I don't really get it :confused: I suppose he wants it to feel, shapewise, like his ABG (only filled w/ cement :D ).

I saw another pic of him recently w/ a custom bass, also w/ the pup right up against the bridge - that one had a bridge pup though too.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    YUCK!!!!!!!!

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I like all those EBS cab pointed right at the drummers head. :D

5. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    .......................wow. One of the ONLY Warwicks I can honestly say I don't like.

6. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    this bass should go on that thread a while back on basses good for smacking people on the head!

7. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    +1
    I'd love to hear it too.

8. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    i bet that thing could kill an elephant in one good whack...

9. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    One could definitely get some solid El Kabong action going with that thing.

10. hmmmm...

looks like they got that piano-like tone by sticking a warwick neck on a .... PIANO!

"Look at thing...It's huuuge...ya know what I'm sayin'?"
    -Nicholas Cage as "Tiny Elvis" (SNL 199?)

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I can't quite explain the dissapointment after reading the words "custom Warwick" and seeing that.

I just hope he likes it :meh:

12. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Jonas Hellborg has always had a weird taste in basses. But I like this bass, it's got something special about it... but I think I'd prefer it to be semi-hollow... or my back would snap! ;)

13. That is one big SLAB of wood!!!

I'd love to see a better Pic of his WAL double neck if anyone has one. The picture on his site is pretty small, but it looks great!

14. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    That's the only one, with the exception of the older Fortress models that had the pickguards, that I like.

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ick.

16. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    If your favorite bass player put strings on a turd, would you want one too?!? :eek:

17. i think that's pretty cool looking, myself. i also like how the pup is right next to the bridge. must get a really nice stiff sound.

18. "s**t, yeah!" :D

19. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I'm kinda diggin' the simplicity of it. If it were 3/4 the size it is, I'd be semi-GASsing.

20. bassedsouth

bassedsouth

Dec 2, 2004
    bassedsouth
    Personally I think that it's a pity that the horns are so small , now imagine that bass with horns say 3 times longer !! ;)