Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JPJ on Heartbreaker

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the ombudsman, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what effect is John Paul Jones using on Led Zeppelin's Heartbreaker? Sounds like some kind of tremolo effect to me, or maybe a Leslie? Can you play a bass through a Leslie?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sure you can. But I have listened to a lot of their records, and I can't recall ever hearing any effects on the bass on any of their early stuff. You might be hearing effects on Page's thousand guitar tracks that all do the same thing and thinking they're on the bass. Then again you may be right. After every radio station got "The Led Out" in the 80's, I got to a point where I can't stand to listen to them anymore.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have a feeling it was the "double string" bass that he used - so an 8-string doubling each normal bass string - which gave that sound?

4. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    JPJ didn't get an 8-string bass until the Presence album. The sound on "Heartbreaker" is indeed an overdriven Jazz Bass through a Leslie cab.

5. That's what I thought. That's a pretty cool sound!

Thanks guys.

6. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I dug it also, by the way are you belgian???

7. Me? No, I'm a French Canadian.

8. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    ombudsman is it an english word?

9. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    That overdriven tone is just too great. I just swoon whenever that part of Heartbreaker comes in.

10. It's both english and french.

Which is pretty much the whole song, isn't it? IIRC.

Didn't Chris Squire also use an overdriven bass through a Leslie on Starship Trooper? From what I remember, it was a similar tone.

11. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Leslies were designed to go with organs, so they handle bass without a problem. that was about the only Zep song he used effects on, though.

12. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Hmm, I never realised he used any effects on that song, I always assumed it was just bass powerchords.

13. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    "Celebration day" off LZ-III was an 8 string.

"Heartbreaker" is played with a pick which gives a very distinctive attack. During the verse where the guitar lays out, you can really hear the distortion effect. JPJ is playing what I call "big chords": the open "A" string while playing a diad on the D and G string.

14. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    He didn't get the Alembic 8 string until Presence. He had a Hagstrong 8 string way before that.

15. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I am not sure if anyone posted this already, but I think I remember reading that he used a pick with his trusty jazz bass on that track. What speaker he used...I have no idea.