Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JPJ

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LAW, Sep 9, 2005.

1. LAW

LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    Does anyone know what kind of background John Paul Jones has? What type of training? Self taught or teacher? Any info is appreciated.

"Bury me with all my stuff...because you know that it is mine...."
    -Master Shake

2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    his dad was a musician & arranger, JPJ studied music at school and played the organ, later became an arranger in London in the early 60's, also playing the bass... met a session musician called Jimmy Page and erm... you know the rest

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I'm pretty sure that some reliable info is out there, but my knowledge of his career is that prior to Zep he was a highly regarded session bassist, arranger, and producer. He produced hits for Donovan, and I believe Herman's Hermits. He may have doubled on URB, and I have seen shots of him playing EBG in an orchestral setting. My gut says that he is a product of one of the british arts colleges, but I could be wrong.

I had a chance to see him on the Zooma tour and my mind was officially *blown*. I had always defended him as the brains of the Zep juggernaut, but I may have even underestimated him. The guy is simply a musical tour de force. He is a killer keyboard player to make the likes of Billy Preston pale, his slide guitar (lap steel) chops are phenomenal, and we know what he can do on a bass. He is riding the cutting edge of live performance by implementing tools like the Kyma interactive composer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones_(musician)

http://www.mp3.com/john-paul-jones/artists/28624/biography.html

Google, yo.

4. Ditto the above

JPJ was playing piano in his fathers band before he was ten I think.

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    gigging before 10... cool!

6. JPJ was and is genius on the bass guitar. Any analysis of Led Zepp classics reveal not only the Page riffmeister but the amazing link that JPJ established with Bonham and the feel of the whole song. That is why Led Zeppilen still remain unique and uncopied to this day.
    The same cannot be said for the endless Sabbath clones that continue on and on. Zepp were the Dream Theatre of their time. Sure Whole Lot Of Love ain't Close To The Edge but later albums such as Prescence and In Through The Outdoor showed what amazing musicians they were.