1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just 1954 1955 1956 Precision Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumbao, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    F.Originals! ...and Reissues, Replicas, Prototypes, Signatures or Cloned.

Well, I just want to see some Contours bodied vintage/style P-basses pics! :)

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    No '57s?

The contoured bodied versions of the single coil Precision Bass (SCPB) were made at least into April of '57. Sting's personal instrument is dated to that time.

Heres one if my DIY versions:

[​IMG]

I also have a recent Blue Flower RI and Sting but no pix of those.

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Not mine.

4. Yup, the contours actually started in 1954. Sting's old P-Bass is a '56 (the one which he now plays without the scratchplate). He did have another '57 one, but auctioned that off a couple of years ago for the Hurricane Katrina benefit. Sunburst finishes were introduced in late 1954.

In '57 there was an overlap with the single coil and the new split coil models, so you can get both versions from that year.

Anthow, here's my '56 with an alder body. the neck is big and chunky, and the sound is just wonderful!

DSC00004-1.

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    These aren't mine they are a friends..

Both are all original

55P1.

56Blondie1.

6. no not yours...

no...not yours...

[​IMG]

the herd lacks ...ummm...variety? ;):D

7. Holy hell

8. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Hey. It's against rules to have that many!

Just send one to me to even it up and you should be fine:D

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Cool. I'd like to follow up on that, can you cite a source? Maybe the auction news item? I searched Google and no luck.

According to Mark Kendrick at Fender, the Custom Shop modded Sting's '57 P for a custom SD stacked humbucking pickup. The one without the 'guard was that '57 and they also made a Custom Shop duplicate. Not to say that Sting couldn't easily have removed the 'guard from another bass.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Here is my May, 1955 "put me through school" P-bass, before and after restoration.

IMG_0036.
    IMG_0047.
    IMG_0051.
    IMG_0056.
    IMG_0230.
    back.
    body9.
    headstock21.

11. I've always thought his bass was a '54, but read a few years ago that it may be a '56 or '57.
    The following is from MF's site selling the STING model.
    Makes no sense to me!

"A bass made to Police specifications.
    It's a faithful limited edition reproduction of Sting's trusty 1953 Precision Bass with his signature in a block inlay at the 12th fret"

I've always been told the contours (as mentioned earlier), started in '54.

12. I also found this:

"According to Danny Quatrochi (sp?), both of Sting's '57 & '55 p-basses are equipped with the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Stack Single Coil Basslines pickup. It's a stack, which eliminates the annoying hum associated with all single coil pickups, while supposedly retains the single coil sound quality. I've been eyeing this same pick-up for my bass, but I believe it will require a route of the pickup cavity to accommodate the taller pickup.

Here's the lowdown on Sting's Fender Custom Shop clone from one of Fender's MasterBuilders, Mark Kendrick":

"Sting's P-bass is unique in that both neck and body are dated 4/57. Between '54 and '56 the wood of choice for 'P' was generally Ash. Sting's 'P' is Alder. The neck profile is a heavy 'V', just as you would find on a Strat from the same era. It measures .930 at the first fret and .960 at the twelth. I've only seen one other 'P' like it. It belongs to Nashville session ace, Michael Rhodes. The transition to the "familiar" '57 'P' was completed in June '57. Sting's 'P' is modified. The pup cavity was deepened by .290ths to allow for the additional height of a Seymour Duncan stack. It is wired in parallel and reads at 14K ohms.""

NICE photos BTW! :cool:

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147

I wonder about this "retains single coil quality" claim for a vertical stacK wired in parallel. Doesn't having a hum canceling effect depend on summing the outputs of the parallel reversed signals (like a Jazz bass)? So presumably this assures both upper and lower coils are in the circuit. While it may be a great sounding pickup, is it not subject to the same artifacts of hum bucking that all such pickups have, i.e., loss of highs and lows, yet quieter?

Obviously "retains single coil quality" is a vague claim, and is being made about a pop star's instrument, but am I reading too much into this or missing something? Is it just SD hype?

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    From Kendrick's description of the DC resistance reading of 14K ohms, the coils are connected in series. That would tend to compensate for the artifacts you mention.

15. pbenn

pbenn

Jun 5, 2010
    Toronto
    URL=http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2984240350106541782INjofY][​IMG][/URL]

16. Hnz

Hnz

Jul 13, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Here's my modded Fender Sting Signature:

stingblktotfloorturn.

17. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I never get tired of looking at this. My first attempt at copying your pickguard is a little too curved, so I'm gonna try again today.

18. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    My 1956. Same age as me.
    56Front.
    56Back.
    56PBass.

19. Hnz

Hnz

Jul 13, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hey thanks Rip Topaz!

Please do not 'tolex' your new pick guard again! ;)

20. Hnz

Hnz

Jul 13, 2010
    The Netherlands
    AWESOME!!! :hyper: