1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just bought a Wechter ABG - String recomendations needed please.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Solofunkyjazz, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Solofunkyjazz

Solofunkyjazz

Sep 15, 2008
    Coventry UK
    I'm new to acoustic bass, although I've been playing electric for over twenty years.

So I have no idea which strings to go for on an acoustic, I use DR nickel Lo-rider 120 - 30 on my electric bass, I'll be playing jazz/fusion on it.

It's a 4 string fretless, I'd prefer roundwounds, I'm not interested in getting an upright/double bass sound out of it. I'd like something warm but bright and even sounding, not boomy.

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    DR makes phosphor bronze strings for ABG. You might also consider the DR Jonas Hellborg set. They're marketed as electric bass strings, but I suspect they'd work fine on electric as well.

Some folks really like Elixers for ABG--the coating takes a little of the brightness off, but they don't sound like flatwounds.

On my ABG, I've got GHS bronze ABG strings, which are what the luthier had on them when I got it. They're fairly bright at first, but after a few months they lose a bit of the top end while still being clear enough for chords and slapping.

Mike

3. Solofunkyjazz

Solofunkyjazz

Sep 15, 2008
    Coventry UK
    Thanks for your reply.

Is it OK to use normal electric bass strings on an ABG, the Jonas Hellborg ones sound good.

4. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    lots of people use electric bass strings on an abg (especially when they want flats on it), but it will probably cut back on the acoustic volume somewhat.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I love the D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings. I've tried Elixer Phosphor Bronze and LaBella nylon tapesound and I prefer the D'Addario strings.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I use my regular rounds on mine(sometimes flats), I don't like acoustic strings at all.