1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just curious

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by OneKillWonder, Apr 15, 2004.

1. how many of you finger style players like me have tried...but cannot even come close to playing as fast with a pick as you can with your fingers. i suck with a pick i know... im just curious if anyone else can play faster with their fingers than a pick?

2. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    I definitely suck at playing with a pick, but I can appreciate a great pick player (do we have to name them again?). :)

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I am still trying to get with a pick. I mainly use one on simpler stuff, anything with a bunch of string skipping and will use my fingers.

I had one pick that a guitarist friend left at my house, a .43, and it was perfect until I broke it after five minutes.

4. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Although I do use both, I favor fingers... I can do it with a pick, but it doesn't feel as good.. ;)

5. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    ditto for me. I just can't hack it with a pick. at rehearsal last night I was going for a Berry Oakley pickstyle type of vibe on an ABB tune and found it was just way too sloppy - fingers were much more fluid. I guess I just need to practice with it but I've always preferred fingerstyle.

the only exception where I'll use a pick is the very few times that I have to sing - for some reason in my brain I can't put fingerstyle and singing together and a pick helps me keep the groove... anyone else have this issue?

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I can almost play as fast with my fingers as a pick, but I get worn out pretty fast and it's not as clean. When it's important, I will use a pick. No shame in that!

I use the thickest, smallest picks I can find. Usually 1.5mm jazz picks. It keeps your fingers closest to the strings, so you don't have a huge piece of plastic flapping away in the wind that you are trying to do precision work with.

7. for string-skipping stuff eg. alternating octaves and crossing high to low strings, and triplets (with three fingers) I'm faster fingerstyle.

for simple 16th note/8ths at a fast tempo (eg. Parallel Universe, New Gold dream, Where the streets have no name, Duchess) lines and some crossing low to high strings riffs, I'm faster with a pick.

8. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I play guitar and bass, but started with bass first playing fingerstyle. So, if I'm playing the bass and I *need* speed then I gotta have a pick, as I have spent a huge amount of time getting my alternate picking up to snuff. Though I can play at a decent rate using my fingers I just can't move em as fast as a quick wrist-style picking. I see this topic comes up a lot, every know and then somebody disses playing with a pick, which is funny because I'd bet dollars to donuts people that say that can't play pickstyle worth a darn ;)

9. its true...i suck with a pick

10. I used to be fingers mainley. Then i took up pick style...and it really grew on me...i kinda perfer it now. Nothing sounds more aggressive to me than Rick's and Pick's :cool:

11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Every once in a while I try playing with a pick. I really suck at it LOL! But, I watched Carol Kaye's Bass Instruction DVD and I dig her way of playing with a pick. Seems to make it much easier to play syncopated rhythms and such if you have your picking hand moving with your tapping foot, which there doesn't seem to be a way to do this as easily when playing finger style.