1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got a rick, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Morosini, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Morosini

Morosini

Nov 2, 2018
    California
    I recently bought a used 2011 4001 (not 4003, for some reason) Rickenbacker bass. I got it at norms, and I instantly fell in love with it. It recently arrived in the mail and I've been playing it to poopie. It's a great instrument, and probably already my favorite bass. Any suggestion on what pedals, amp settings, hell even mods (I know, heretical) that apply to a great rick sound? I'm going for a "Permanent Waves" tone, but I seem to lack the lower frequencies, but other than that it sounds like a million bucks.

2. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Just so you know if your Rickenbacker is a 2011 it is definitely not a 4001, it's a 4003, they stopped making 4001 Ric's in the early 80's roughly.

3. Morosini

Morosini

Nov 2, 2018
    California
    Ok. Most likely a 4003, as I'm sure the store owner is too boomer to realize.

4. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    What Gwangi said is true-4003.

eadg98005 likes this.
  5. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Or unless it's the reissue 4001C64 or 4001C64S that was a type of reissue that Rickenbacker doesn't make anymore.

isaac42 and bobyoung53 like this.
  6. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Lack of bottom end? Make sure the rear most knob is pushed in- it pulls out for a brighter tone, the 4001 tone. I find that the 4003 has plenty of bottom end with the treble tone circuit pushed in, for sure!

Bogun and Bboopbennie like this.
  7. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    As far as mods... and this may be heresy, but I would look at a hipshot replacement bridge. Much sturdier than the stock ric bridge, and much easier to intonate!

8. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    My suggestion? Start saving your cash for the next one you’ll want :smug:

9. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Just play it for a while and get used to it. Rics are quirky unique basses and I wouldn't modify anything.

MrNylon, mr zee, bobyoung53 and 14 others like this.
  10. Geddy Lee is a boomer, so that makes his Permanent Waves tone boomer too.

11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Roto Sound strings and black tape wounds for mods as needed.

bassdude51 and zon6c-f like this.
  12. Turn the bass control up on your amp. They actually are pretty bright basses. The neck pickup maybe isn't as high output as your bridge pickup on it? Not sure if it's height is adjustable, but maybe you could raise neck pickup height a bit? But yea, just turn up the bass knob on your amp and love that baby

bassface69 likes this.
  13. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    You've got two separate volume and tone knobs. With both pickups selected, you can dial in many different sounds by varying the mix between the two pickups.

14. Gustopher

Gustopher

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    Damn I hate this phrase. I’m not a boomer, I’m gen-x but this condescending term annoys the piss out of me.

15. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Asheville NC
    Your young superior genius didn't even know what you bought!

16. Bboopbennie

Bboopbennie

Jun 16, 2019
    Get rid of the pickup cover if you want to hand mute the strings. Neck is not very robust, so lighter gage strings
    work out better. Bridge/ saddle are crap, but hey YOU own a Rick !

4001 Rick- 1974 HI -A Pickup @ bridge

20190704_172527_003.jpg

17. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

LOL! Dude, I think you just insulted 80% of TalkBass! :roflmao: WTG!

18. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    Don't quite know what his age has to do with it. Might want to learn how to move through life with a bit of grace. It will serve you well... Signed a Boomer

19. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    What Ric? I don't see any pics. I'm calling BS :)

tmack000, Joe Boom, GreyMark and 9 others like this.
  20. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    If you ever want to sell that old lefty please let me know. I have a kidney available (who needs two?)