1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just moved across the country. Got any tips?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by tfernandez, Oct 4, 2017.

1. tfernandez

tfernandez

Jul 5, 2010
    Hello TB,
    I recently moved from Orlando, FL to Los Angeles California with my girlfriend to pursue new work opportunities in stage production (and her in acting.) Back in Florida, I never really tried to gig as part of my income and mostly only played shows for original rock and metal groups that never really paid much. I still write and tour with some of these groups, but wanted to use the move as a way to buckle down and focus on bettering my playing and possibly gigging more with other styles (jazz, reggae, bar gigs, etc.)

In the two months I have been here, I have met a decent amount of local musicians through work and gatherings which has landed me one sub gig and offers for more unpaid original bands. I was curious if any of you have some wise words to share about adapting to a new town in the music world, ways to find decent gigs, how to get your foot in the door, and tips on how to feel out a new music scene/ find new promoters to work with. Also, if you have any specific information about the music scene in greater LA, that would be a huge help!

Thank you for any and all help!

hieronymous and basscapes like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Try Craig's List, Reverb Nation, ads at all the local music stores, contact all music teachers, music schools,music studios, visit music venues and hand out contact info to band members, owners, sound/ stage crew, setup a Facebook page with Some samples of your skills, attend open jams, don't limit yourself to bands...maybe a duo or trio.

Develop your vocals and sight reading.

Research FB and all other social media for contacts

Something's gotta break for you!

Good luck. :thumbsup:

PS. Make sure your equipment is flexible and in good repair along with your transportation; super important for LA!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    tfernandez likes this.
  3. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    More TB info to check out:
    WE Warrior needs tablet computer as a teleprompter. Having a your own documented catalog of songs you already know would be very helpful.

Where does one get an HPF and/or LPF pedal?to tighten up the low end of your rig.

The trend in cabs is vertically stacked 2x10,12s or 15s. Better dispersion and stage volume(for you and your band mates).

Checkout the link in my sig. for lots of TB links to help up your game!

What's your setup?

Oh, also contact wedding and event planners to find out which bands the use. Wedding and corporate bands usually have their own websites. Possibly visit wedding venues and corp. meeting venues.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    tfernandez likes this.
  4. tfernandez

tfernandez

Jul 5, 2010
    reading the thread now. I've always wanted to switch to a tablet setup for sheet music so I can stop printing. I will consider getting a budget setup sooner than later so page turns are much easier. All of my show gear is still back in Florida as the size and weight wasn't worth drive 2500 miles with. I have a class D head getting fix at the moment and I'm was planning on getting a 210 or 12-3 soon for smaller gigs and adding later. Currently borrowing amps for practice from some generous friends.

Stumbo likes this.
  5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Get to know the guys who gig regularly.
    Jam sessions have worked for me.
    Sit in and let people hear you.
    Good luck.

tfernandez and Stumbo like this.
  6. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    Spent a lifetime in LA, moved to Portland a year ago.

LA is a network of neighborhoods connected by freeways. There are many groups forming and breaking up regularly. The jam sessions in LA were varied, many players knew a few tunes and went there to perform ritually. Generally there are a few good players and talking to them is a good way to network.

What part of the city are you in.

Stumbo likes this.
  7. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Have a budget yet? Tbrs will be happy to chime in. Good topic for another thread.

8. tfernandez

tfernandez

Jul 5, 2010
    I'm in K-town. I've been looking for a few low-key jazz jams, but most of the people I work with aren't into that scene so I haven't heard of many.

9. tfernandez

tfernandez

Jul 5, 2010
    I'm still figuring out my budget and timetable for the cab. Still recovering from moving costs, and had a hit-n-run accident last week. If they catch the guy, it'll save me a grand in repair costs. I was thinking around $400 or so once I do have some cash ready.

Stumbo likes this.
  10. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Sorry to hear about the HAR. Glad you're okay.:)

You have a $1k deductible? Check in to see what the difference in cost levels for each deductible . Sometimes the difference is not that much.

Also checkout Liberty mutual for cost comparison.

$4-500 should get you a good used cab.

11. tfernandez

tfernandez

Jul 5, 2010
    Yeah, I have 500 for regular accidents, but chose 1k for uninsured because moving costs set me back a bit more than I wanted. I will be updating that on my next renewal for sure. And that's what I figured for the cab. I have to wait to try any out because the amp is in the shop, but I'm debating on if I want to go for anther avatar setup or shoot for something a bit nicer.

12. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    Go for it? And practice a lot. Maybe sell your body.

Stumbo and tfernandez like this.
  13. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    It also helps to be extremely good looking and be a massively good player. Do those things and you will be OK!

BTW, I hope you are not depending upon musical success for your income or happiness.

bolophonic and tfernandez like this.
  14. tfernandez

tfernandez

Jul 5, 2010
    I think you mean "extremely ridiculously good looking."
    And no dependence here, stagehand and rigging work more than pays the bills with plenty of time to practice and shoot for regular gigs.

BboogieXVII likes this.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Exactly. Be Nathan East.

16. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have no idea who's making money in LA and I've lived here for 30 years. Tribute bands/cover bands/corporate gigs seem to be the only way to make any cash based on the people I have met and know.

Originals acts (sadly, the only thing I am interested in playing in) just don't seem to be able to get any traction here. The LA populace doesn't seem to value anything new in terms of live music.

YMMV, IMHO, etc...

BTW, I used to live in K-town 2001- 2009. There was literally nothing music-wise in the area except karaoke, unless you count the touring acts at The Wiltern. Pro tip - use the subway to get around town so you don't have to deal with traffic and parking. There are stops at Wilshire/Western, Wilshire/Vermont and Wilshire/Normandie. But not when you have to take your gear.

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    REV likes this.
  17. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Do you have a white shirt, black slacks, and a black vest? L.A. has thousands of 'actors' and 'musicians' waiting tables while their Big O hits. Sorry to be pessimistic but you are in the center of well.... something.. but best of luck to you. One in 100,000 makes it in that city..

18. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    FYI: 12,000,000 people in LA County. 1 in 100,000 = 10 in 1,000,000 = 120 in 12,000,000.

I think more than 120 musicians "make it" LA.

Just sayin'.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    BboogieXVII and M0ses like this.
  19. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    It ain't that hard.
    It took me six months to book myself twenty paid gigs a month, from the day I set foot in LA. Off little more than Craigslist ads and business cards.
    OP dioesn't wanna do something like that if he's working another full time gig, but you can't spit in this town without hitting an "artist" and a good rhythm section player is always in demand.

Also, anyone in needs a sub in LA or OC feel free to PM me :bassist:

tfernandez likes this.
  20. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Slightly O/T, I apologize, but vertically stacked 2x10s are a trend? At last, I'm part of a trend! (I started doing it a couple years ago just to minimize stage footprint).

Stumbo and tfernandez like this.