Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just starting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bolshevik, May 2, 2005.

1. bolshevik

bolshevik

May 2, 2005
    first of all, i know u guys have probably heard this question before, but im just starting, and i wann know what bass to get as my first. Ive already looked at alot of pawn shops around where i live, but everyithing in them is falling apart, or just sounds like crap. I'm also wondering if i should go fretless. I already play the cello, which is alot like a bass but w/ c,g,d and a strings,so i know how to keep in tune.
    thanks in advance.

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    fretless as a first bass is wrong way,start fretted and next fretless

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If you already play cello you will probably find a fretless easier to learn. You should already have a well developed ear for intonation by this point. Just be aware that fretless and fretted basses are almost different instruments, try out both and get one that you enjoy playing.

There is no law that says you have to start on a fretted. Its easy, and that's certainly the most common route, but you can start playing on a fretless if you are willing to put the work into learning it.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I say start fretted then move to fretless. My girlfriend is a cellist of ten years and she's been playing my fretted ABG for a while. She tried out my new fretless and it was horrid. She was discouraged and I think as far as motivation, a fretted instrument is best to start on.

Check out the Yamaha BB404 at Musiciansfriend.com. It's a great instrument for $189.99 and don't forget to spend an extra $10 on Schaller Straplocks so that you can get free shipping!

5. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    The wrong way, eh? :rolleyes:

6. what are you talking about??? haven't you ever seen School of Rock??? Turn a Cello on its side CHEELOOO its a basS! soooo therfore they MUST be tuned and played the same way! /endsarcasim ---that movie makes mmee sooo angry, girl couldnt even play bass urrr... ill stop now sorry