Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just step'ed up to a 6string bass!(need scales/arpeggios/something)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nbw, Dec 4, 2003.

1. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    hi

I finaly recieved my brand new Cort Curbow 6 the other day.(and i must say I am extremey happy with it)
    I can't seem to find any scales or arpeggios for a 6string bass though. I searched here and only came up with 3 threads(non of wich help). So I was wondering if anyone here knew a website with this kind of stuff for 6string basses.
    Also if you have any tip's to help me adjust from 4 to 6 quicker that would help, such as a song/groove that was writen for 6stringer..

Thanks

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Here's some ideas:

1) You don't need special scales or arpeggios - just use the ones you know already but start with lower notes. Try running them over a longer range (three or four octaves) and experiment with running along and across the strings.

2) Play songs you know but transpose them into different keys to get the feel of the new range.

3) Take the same songs but see if the extended range opens up any new fingering possibilities.

Wulf

3. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Tip for adjusting to a 6 is just play it! once you're fingers get used to it, it's the same as the 4 in a way!

Take care
    TM

4. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    1) You don't need special scales or arpeggios - just use the ones you know already but start with lower notes. Try running them over a longer range (three or four octaves) and experiment with running along and across the strings

It's a shame I really dont "know" many of them for 4string bass... lol. but I guess those are easy to find.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How much do you know about scales? For example, if I said 'G major', would you know what sequence of seven notes to play? Would you be able to find all the instances of those notes on the fretboard?

Wulf

6. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    not in the least. I am ashamed of it really. I have playing bass/guitar for well over a year and never really "learned" about music.

I hope to be changing all this soon :/

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Dave Grossman's site is a great resource - you might also want to try the guide to resources on this site.

Wulf