1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

just thinking of my old rickenbackers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marinecorpsman6, Jan 24, 2012.

1. marinecorpsman6

marinecorpsman6

Apr 12, 2011
    I'm just sitting here at work waiting to go home ....and thinking about the ricks I had in the 80s ....loved the tone ....I play warwicks now ....and I just can't get the same tone .....who knows I might sale or trade in for one ....anyway ....just a thought ...lol

2. There are certainly worse things to think about. I think about my Ricks a lot too... so I get one out and plug it in when I get home. LOL...

3. marinecorpsman6

marinecorpsman6

Apr 12, 2011
    Lol.....may have to get one...lol....are the new ones any good ...I've seen a few on here ....what do you think about them

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The new one are superb, with lots of great features that have been introduced or re-introduced in recent years. :cool:

5. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Not sure how is my 4003 from 2009 compares to the 2011 versions. But as you say, features such as modern truss rods, hi gain pups and vintage/ modern switch on the bridge pup makes the Rickenbacker an even more capable bass then before.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    If you have a mild mannered bass that doesn't get that in your face Rickenbacker tone then get one of these and boost the mids. Especially high mids.

[​IMG]

It may not work with all basses but it can get you closer to what you want.

Or I have a 1993 4004L that did not give me the clank I wanted. So I put in single coil pickups. That got me closer. Then I put in a 4 band Audere preamp. When I boost the high mids with a little low mids and some bass it gives me the old Rick tone.

Or buy a 4003 ...

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    A 2009 and a 2011 will sound pretty much the same.

8. Leo thechampion

Leo thechampion

Nov 2, 2011
    I sold a Ric 4001 to a friend of a friend in 1986. The worst thing is he paid me a dollar a week that I just wasted. The good news is I picked up a 1975 Azureglo last year. It's not my number one but I feel my wrong is now right.

9. Octavio

Octavio

Sep 15, 2011
    Hawaii Kai
    Wish I still had my old 4003. I pawned it in 1986 to help pay the downpayment on my wife's wedding ring. I'm still happily married, but I also still miss my Rickenbacker. The new ones are so expensive. I bought mine used in great condition in 1981 for $275 . . . .

10. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Another lesson to learn friends... Try not to sell stuff you may regret later, unless absolutely necessary.
    Many of us unfortunately have.
    Experience can be a cruel teacher.

11. marinecorpsman6

marinecorpsman6

Apr 12, 2011
    Lol...very true brother

12. Another story of regret.I had to sell my '89 4003 Jetglow to help put hardwood floors in our house.Wife couldn't believe it when I came home with a grand in my pocket from a local music yard sale.She doesn't give me the hairy eyeball anymore about gear purchases,but every time I walk across the floor I see my Ricky in there.